Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
27328 Discussions

internal compiler error with oneAPI ifort 2021.4, submodule parameter

Andreas_Z_
New Contributor I

Hi Intel compiler developers,

after using the new oneAPI Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.4.0, one of my programs has triggerd an internal compiler error (ICE). 

The following simple program reproduces the issue when compiled using the following command line: 
ifort /c /Od /debug:full /debug-parameters:all .\test_ICE_submodule_param.f90

module mod1
interface
    module subroutine bar()
    end subroutine bar
end interface 
end module mod1
!-------------------------------------------

submodule (mod1) submod
contains
    module subroutine bar()
    implicit none
    !parameter in a submodule causes ICE with ifort 2021.4.0 when compiler flags
    ! /debug-parameters:all or /debug-parameters:used are set aside /debug:full
    integer,parameter :: k = 3  
    end subroutine bar
end submodule submod 
!-------------------------------------------

program test_ICE
use mod1
call bar()
end program test_ICE

!command line flags leading to internal compiler error:
! ifort /c /Od /debug:full /debug-parameters:all .\test_ICE_submodule_param.f90

! --> fortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).

This ICE seems to be caused by having a parameter declared in a *submodule* procedure while using the /debug:full /debug-parameters:all compiler flags. It does not occur when /debug-parameters:all is absent (nor with ifort version 2021.3). 
So, a workaround is to not use /debug-parameters:all or /debug-parameters:used.

3 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

@Andreas_Z_ , thank you for such a nice job of triaging the problem! I filed a bug report for you, CMPLRIL0-34296. I'll let you know when it is fixed.

Willi1
Beginner

Thank you @Andreas_Z_  for descirbing the problem and @Barbara_P_Intel thank you for opening the ticket.

We still have the same issue with the version 2022.1.0.

Is it possible to give us a short feedback regarding the current status of ticket CMPLRIL0-34296 ?

And an other short question related to that topic: What additional benefit does /debug-parameters:all provides me, when I already set  /debug:full? From the offical documentation of the debug-parameters flag and the debug flag I was not able to answer that question.

Barbara_P_Intel

@Willi1, it looks like CMPLRIL0-34296 will be fixed in the next release which is planned for Fall 2022.