Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

libiomp5md.dll give access violation at line 69

martin_upsdellagrese

I have just installed version 18.0.3.210 and find I get access violation in libiomp5md.dll at line 69. Is this a fault in  libiomp5md.dll  or a version mismatch?  When I tried to revert to 18.0.2.185 where it worked I found that it no longer worked.  I discovered that the installer had copied over the file libiomp5md.dll in the redistribution directory with a new version 5.0.2018.209.  Downloading the version 5.0.5018.112 corresponding to compiler version 18.0.2.185 didn't fix the problem.  With every version of the compiler having a different version of libiomp5md.dll, how do I make sure that the correct one is linked in?  I cannot link it in statically which would fix the problem.  If a user gets programs from two different suppliers how do we ensure that the user links the right version of libiomp5md.dll for the program coming from each supplier?  It will be unlikely that both suppliers will be using exactly the same version of the compiler.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

There should be backward compatibility of the dll with the versions you quote. You also need to consider that the issue is with your application and using the later dll just happens to expose a bug that was already there. Do you get the problem when running under the debugger? 

0 Kudos
martin_upsdellagrese

Thank you for your comments.

I have run it under the debugger, which gave me that the error was occurring in line 69 of libiomp5md.dll

I use openMp in 5 instances where I want to specify a reduction clause to enable the loop to be done in parallel.  I have tried disabling all but one of the instances but the fault keeps appearing.  Going back to compiler version 16.0.3.207 fixes the problem, even with the new version of libiomp5md.dll version 5.0.2018.209. 

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The crash is at that line but the error will be earlier and more probably in your code. The lib routine is most likely crashing due to an error in your code. The fact that a later compiler exposes a problem does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with that compiler relative to the older version.....

If you have not read it this article from Dr Fortran is informative. https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/275071#comment-1548436

0 Kudos