Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

mysterious floating point exception

Braun__Jay
Beginner

I am working with a package provided by a university-affiliated organization.  I keep hitting an arithmetic exception on a particular line of code, and there seems to be no reason. I am wondering what actions I can take.  I am already running with -debug and no optimization. Below is the code snippet, with the "offending" line indicated in bold:

DO k=1,nz-1
      DO j=1,ny-1
        DO i=1,nx-1
          dzp = zp(i,j,k+1)-zp(i,j,k)
          IF( runmod == 1 ) THEN
            grdscl(i,j,k) = dxdy3rd * dzp**one3rd
          ELSE IF( runmod == 2 ) THEN
            grdscl(i,j,k) = SQRT(dx*dzp)
          ELSE IF( runmod == 3 ) THEN
            grdscl(i,j,k) = SQRT(dy*dzp)
          ELSE IF( runmod == 4 ) THEN
            grdscl(i,j,k) = dzp
          END IF
        END DO
      END DO
    END DO

All variables on this line are REAL (including the 3-dimensional array).  The values are:

one3rd = 1.0/3.0 (so 0.3333333...)
dzp = -16.666626
dxdy3rd = 9.65489483

so basically the expression is taking a negative real number, raising it to a real fraction (should be fine), and the multiplying it by a positive real number.

Regarding the loop through the arrays, the indexes and the variable runmod are all correctly INTEGER.  nx is 100, ny is 400, and nz is 10.

I am running on Ubuntu 16.04.

Here is the compilation command; my only contribution was replacing -O3 wth -O0 -debug:

ifort -w -convert big_endian  -fp-model source  -I/home/braun/arps/include  -I/usr/local/hdf/include -module /home/braun/arps/modules -O0     -debug -fpe0 -check bounds -traceback -c tmix3d.f90

I'm starting to suspect a compiler option.  I tried a small test case with no options, and the result was correct.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Um, raising a negative value to a fractional exponent results in a complex value, and hence an error for REAL values. Right?

0 Kudos
Braun__Jay
Beginner

Funny, I was so intent on creating a small test case, I did not consider the basic math.  My "should be fine" comment came from first getting a result on my computer's calculator and then this little program:

program j

real :: dzp, one3rd, result

one3rd = 1.0 / 3.0
dzp = -16.666626

result = dzp**one3rd
print *, result

end program j

So I compile and run it:

braun@audrey-00:~$ ifort -c j.f90
braun@audrey-00:~$ ifort -o j j.o
braun@audrey-00:~$ ./j

In any case, my task is to find out why dzp is negative.  Maybe the real  "bug" is the apparently reasonable result in the small test case.

Thanks as always, Steve.

j

0 Kudos
Braun__Jay
Beginner

I added an additional step to the test case, multiplying that result by a real number, and got NaN.

OK, on to the next step:  where did that negative number come from?

Thanks!

j

0 Kudos
Braun__Jay
Beginner

Just to close this discussion -- the negative values resulted from a mismatch of parametric data.  By changing one setting that was inconsistent with the dimensions chosen for my particular data set, I eliminated the issue.  This was consistent with some documentation that I later found.

j

0 Kudos