Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
11768 Discussions

Flickering screen - Intel NUC8I5BEK2 (via USB-C)

BrunoCosta
Novice

Hello!

I'm having issues when connecting my NUC to a monitor (Philips 276C8) via USB-C.

In the past I was able to have that connection established without trouble, then I switched to HDMI (also without problems). Now I need a free HDMI port (for a 2nd monitor) so I was forced to move back to the USB-C port.

I have attached the report from the Intel SSU app.

I attempted to reinstall the latest Thunderbolt driver without success (error 0x80070643). 

I also performed a clean installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® 10 (version: 27.20.100.9316) and updated the HDMI driver (just because). The problem persisted.

Additionally, I have played around with the resolution (trying the maximum and minimum) as well as frame rate (59, 60 and 75) [using intel app] and for all combinations no changes were observed. Changing the primary video output to USB-C and secondary to HDMI on BIOS didn't work.

Answering to some questions from another thread:

- When did you buy the unit?

- My unit was bought in May 2020 (Intel NUC Kit NUC8I5BEK2 | Core i5 8259U)

- Did this configuration (NUC+ one monitor on HDMI+one monitor on thunderbolt) work fine before? If yes, was there any recent change related to the point when the issue started?

- Yes, it has worked in the past. I had the opportunity to try it during one day, several months ago, and it worked just fine. In the meantime I have just been updating the software when suggested by both Microsoft and Intel.

- Could you please provide a video or some pictures showing this behavior?

- A video of the behavior was attached. It usually blacks out for longer periods when connected just via USB-C, the HDMI connection somehow "strengthens" the connection. Note that when accessing the BIOS the issue does not occur.

- Have you tested your NUC with a different monitor and a different thunderbolt cable?

- No, because it worked in the past I just tried with another cable, producing the same result. Also, to rule out the possibility of the monitor being broken, I connected it to a MacBook Pro via USB-C and it worked as expected.

- Did you physically inspect the thunderbolt port to see if maybe has some dirt in it or if it’s maybe loose?

- Yes, there is no visible debris nor apparent damage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Bruno,

1. Start with the Thunderbolt DCH Driver. Download the driver to your NUC and unzip the downloaded file. Open the Installation Instructions.txt and follow the instruction, how to manually install the .inf files of the driver.

2. In the SSU report I can see that is something wrong with your Graphics Driver installation:

I can see line -  "Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"26.20.100.8141"" and in other place "Driver Version:"27.20.100.8681".  I suggest that you manually reinstall this driver:

3. Download the DCH Driver Version: 27.20.100.8681  and unzip the file. 

4. Disconnect the internet.

5. Open the Device Manager > Display Adapters. Right click on Intel Graphics and click on Uninstall Device (check the "Delete Driver software..." option). Reboot your NUC.

6. Open the Device Manager and verify that you see now Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver. If not yet, repeat para. 5-6.

7. Install previously downloaded driver version 8681. Reconnect the Internet and reboot your NUC.

Hope this will help.

Leon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Bruno,

1. Start with the Thunderbolt DCH Driver. Download the driver to your NUC and unzip the downloaded file. Open the Installation Instructions.txt and follow the instruction, how to manually install the .inf files of the driver.

2. In the SSU report I can see that is something wrong with your Graphics Driver installation:

I can see line -  "Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"26.20.100.8141"" and in other place "Driver Version:"27.20.100.8681".  I suggest that you manually reinstall this driver:

3. Download the DCH Driver Version: 27.20.100.8681  and unzip the file. 

4. Disconnect the internet.

5. Open the Device Manager > Display Adapters. Right click on Intel Graphics and click on Uninstall Device (check the "Delete Driver software..." option). Reboot your NUC.

6. Open the Device Manager and verify that you see now Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver. If not yet, repeat para. 5-6.

7. Install previously downloaded driver version 8681. Reconnect the Internet and reboot your NUC.

Hope this will help.

Leon

BrunoCosta
Novice

Hello Leon.

Great news: it worked!!!!

Thank you so much! Nice work!

Have a great day.