Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12298 Discussions

HD audio passthrough on NUC11PAHi5 not working

unreal2k
New Contributor I

I have the same issue that seems to be happening on previous models of NUCS as seen here for example: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/HD-audio-passthrough-on-NUC10i3FNK4-not-working/td-p/12108...

I tried to get help on avsforum thinking it might have been an issue with settings until I realized that is not the case and it seems to be an HDMI firmware issue. More details on my issue and tests here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/nuc11pahi5-issue-with-truehd-atmos-dd-atmos-works.3224596/

Long story short, my NUC5 and NUC8 work fine with audio passthrough on a soundbar but the NUC11 does not passthrough lossless TrueHD Atmos. 

On that first forum @Chris_V_Intel added a link to downloads for previous NUC10 for an HDMI firmware found here:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19639/29779/hdmi-firmware-update-tool-for-nuc10i3fn...

@Chris_V_Intel on 09/17/21 you said "We are almost ready to release a fix for the 11th Gen NUCs". Is there a solution for the NUC11?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

unreal2k, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this topic, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the receiver?

What is the model of the monitor?

Are you using adapters/ converters to connect the NUC to the receiver and/or monitor?

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it?

Did the "HD audio passthrough on a soundbar" ever work fine on this same machine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

unreal2k
New Contributor I
Thank you for replying. Is this not a known issue based on what i have read in the previous posts? Is there an HDMI driver fix for the NUC11 as stated as coming from Chris in the NUC10 thread and like the previous models of NUCs?

Please note, as i mentioned, my NUC5 and NUC8 work perfectly well with passthrough and specifically with Dolby Atmos with the same setup.

In either case, here are my answers.
What is the model of the receiver?
Samsung Q950A
What is the model of the monitor?
Samsung Q8 TV
Are you using adapters/ converters to connect the NUC to the receiver and/or monitor?
NO
Is this a new Intel® NUC?
YES
When did you purchase it?
A few days ago
Did the "HD audio passthrough on a soundbar" ever work fine on this same machine?
NO
When did the issue start?
Since the beginning
Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?
NO
Which Windows* version are you using?
Windows 10, all updates in place
Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?
Home

I can attach the SSU reports once i'm home tomorrow.
unreal2k
New Contributor I

@Alberto_R_Intel attached is the SSU Report. 

Alberto_R_Intel

unreal2k, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the SSU report, the Intel® NUC already has the latest BIOS version installed, 0041, which is very important for this type of scenario.

In the following link you will find additional troubleshooting steps to try in order to try to fix this problem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006796/intel-nuc.html

Among the recommendations in there, it is suggested to install the latest graphics driver available. The graphics driver version currently installed in your Intel® NUC is version 27.20.100.8935. Please try a clean installation of Intel® graphics driver version 27.20.100.9415 following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19697/intel-graphics-dch-driver-for-intel-nuc-kit-1...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

If the problem persists after that, then try a clean installation this time of Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.101.1069 and once you get the chance, please let us know the results of that and of trying the suggestions in the link above:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

Regards,

Albert R.

unreal2k
New Contributor I

@Alberto_R_Intel I just tried 27.20.100.9415 and it did not work.
Clean installed 30.0.101.1069 and it also did not work.

DD+ Atmos works with all drivers. TrueHD Atmos does not passthrough with all drivers.

Alberto_R_Intel

unreal2k, Thank you very much for providing those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously.

We will now do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi unreal2k,

We are still working on getting this update/fix released, it may be available as part of a BIOS update or as a separate installer, We still don't have a clear date for its release to the public so please keep on checking our Download Center website.

Regards,

Ronny G

unreal2k
New Contributor I
Thank you, i will keep an eye out.

Can you please update this threat so others with similar issues can follow up on the progress?
msderganc
Novice

Any update on this? It's been five months for a fix to enable proper hdmi (!) output...

msderganc
Novice

Hi,

Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks!

unreal2k
New Contributor I

Can someone give us a status update? I have a very expensive paper weight doing nothing for months.

@Alberto_R_Intel 

@Ronny_G_Intel 

@Chris_V_Intel

unreal2k
New Contributor I

This is absurd and utterly ridiculous. No updates, no solution for months. 

Get your act together Intel, give some kind of support to your users. At the very least reply back instead of ghosting. 

@Alberto_R_Intel 

@Ronny_G_Intel 

@Chris_V_Intel

Kraprot
Novice

Any update on this topic? It has gone 3 months since @Ronny_G_Intel suggested regularly checking the Download Center, but there still isn't anything there (either BIOS or HDMI firmware update) that resolves the NUC11PAHi5 audio passthrough issues with some audio formats. I have an older NUC that handles those audio formats perfectly well with exactly same setup/configuration (connected via HDMI to a Denon 3700H) as I'm using for my NUC11PAHi5. I'm starting to feel it was a mistake to try to upgrade my system with the NUC11PAHi5...

unreal2k
New Contributor I
It actually has been 1 year since the NUC11 was released.
This is false claims and advertising made to customers that purchased such devices.
Support has not been helpful, forums have not either. Intel is ignoring the issue with the most unprofessional way possible by not fixing the issue for a year now and leaving customers in the dark.
Kraprot
Novice

I actually thought I was playing it safe when I purchased a product that had been on the market for a year... I did a search for known problems before I made the purchase, but apparently I missed this particular issue... It's worrying that the problem still hasn't been solved despite (according to Intel) being worked on for so long.

unreal2k
New Contributor I
Just tried the latest 0043 firmware.
TrueHD Atmos does NOT work either through regular HDMI nor thunderbolt to HDMI.
DD+ Atmos works fine.
Kraprot
Novice

I tried the 0043 firmware. As mentioned before, I have a NUC11PAHi5 connected to a Denon AVC-X3700H (with latest FW) via HMDI.

Notes:
The BIOS options to enable/disable HD-Audio DSP and Digital Microphone seem to have disappeared. At least I didn't see them anywhere. Not bothered about that though...
I have a dual boot setup. (One M.2 and one 2.5" SSD.) Windows 10 (fully updated with all drivers recommended by Intel) on one drive and LibreELEC on the other. After the BIOS update the NUC didn't list the Windows drive as bootable. I booted from Windows installation media instead and found that the boot configuration had been messed up for some unknown reason. A bit annoying, but after repairing the boot configuration I could again boot to Windows.

Audio passthrough tests (using a few Dolby and DTS trailers with various HD audio formats):
Results with Kodi 19.4 under Windows 10:
  Dolby TrueHD: Signal correctly received and identified by the amplifier.
  Dolby Atmos: Signal correctly received and identified by the amplifier.
  DTS-HD Master: Signal correctly received and identified by the amplifier.
  DTS:X: Signal correctly received and identified by the amplifier.
Results with LibreELEC 10.0.2 (also tried the latest LE11 nightly build):
  No sound with any of the above audio formats.

So with Windows 10 I now have sound, but not with LibreELEC 10/11 (not a supported OS, I know...). On a sidenote - my old gen 3 NUC (with LE 10.0.2) has no problems whatsoever with passthrough of the above audio formats. It's a bit underpowered though...

unreal2k
New Contributor I

So they fixed something if it works on your Denon. My Nuc does not work on my samsung Q950A soundbar still.

Nuc6 and Nuc8 still work great. Sticking with my older Nucs until Intel figures this out by 2023.

Kraprot
Novice

Yes, at least it's a step forward. I hope Intel now are on the right track and soon arrive at a solution that works for you as well. (And everyone else.) I won't be holding my breath though.
Personally, I would have preferred to get the NUC working with LibreELEC. Windows 10 imposes too much overhead.

Jaap7
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have the same issue on my  NUC11PAHi7.

I'm running Windows 10 on it.

The NUC is connected with HDMI to the One Connect Box of the Samsung QN95A.

I have a Sonos Arc connected to the eARC HDMI port of the One Connect Box.

So a very straightforward configuration.

I bought a new HDMI 2.1 cable for the NUC - so it's not a cable issue.

For the Sonos Arc I'm using the Sonos included HDMI cable.

I can play Atmos using DD.

I cannot play any TrueHD content. So not regular TrueHD, and also not Atmos TrueHD.

The last is the real problem because a lot of movies use Atmos TrueHD.

I'm using passthrough btw.

I did install the most recent BIOS update (43) yesterday - that didn't fix it for me unfortunately.

I also tried different versions of the Intel graphics card drivers, but that also didn't matter.

The ones I tried:
30.0.101.1191 - which is the current one when you look for drivers for the NUC 11.

It's from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/205073/intel-nuc-11-performance-kit-nuc11pahi7/...

Next to that I tried 30.0.101.1404 from this location:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?wapkw...

Hoping for a fix!