Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Windows 10 stucks on Black Screen, after loading, before login screen, with no cursor after enabling Intel Optane.

ANguy12
Beginner

Hi,

I have an Intel Optane 32GB on Asrock z370m Pro4 mainboard with a 2TB HDD.

After finished installing Intel Optane Memory application, it required restart.

After that, It also finished optimizing Intel Optane Memory (2 phases) and then, stucks on black screen, doesn't continue to the Windows login screen.

From now, I try to restart the system several times but it didn't optimize anymore, only stucks on black screen between Windows loading logo phase and Login Screen phase

How can i solve my problem?

Thanks,

P/s: In UEFI Setting, Normally I do not use RAID but after enabling Intel Optane, It was changed to RAID directly, Is it normal?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello daubac402,

Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand that you're experiencing startup issues after enabling Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Please disable Intel® Optane™ Memory from UEFI BIOS. The process varies depending on the motherboard and manufacturer. The process is usually like this:
  1. Access the UEFI BIOS "Advanced Mode".
  2. Go to the "Advanced" tab, look for"Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" and enter.
  3. Access the Intel® Optane™ Memory module.
  4. Look for an option to disable Intel® Optane™, it might say "Reset to non-Optane", "Deconcatenate Optane" or similar wording. You could review the process with the motherboard manufacturer if the options are different.

After that, please access the UEFI BIOS again and make sure "CSM" is disabled. This option is usually found among the "Boot" options.

Once you've done that, please try to enable Intel® Optane™ Memory again and let us know how it goes.

When Intel® Optane™ Memory is enabled, the SATA mode in UEFI BIOS is automatically changed to RAID.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
ANguy12
Beginner

Hi, Thanks for replying me.

It's still not working but I've realized that:

I'm disabled "CSM Settings" before, never using Legacy Boot.

I also disable Intel Optane like your comment before, It was ok but Windows will not using Optane, only HDD.

Update:

Actually it's not stuck at Windows loading at all. During the black screen (very long time, maybe 15-20 mins), my HDD works very hard to do something and after that my system continues to load Windows normally.

So, I guess maybe the reason is:

I do not turn off computer for a long time (ussually 24/24). But in the default settings of Windows's Power Options, It will try to turn off hard disk after 20 minutes if the system doesn't require I/O actions. And when something happens, it tries to restart combo RAID M2 optane and HDD but failed. The result is also black screen and in next restart, It maybe need fixing something between optane and HDD...

Temporary, I tried to disable this option to "never turn off hard disk" and until now, quite good. I'm keep tracking it.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello daubac402,

It'a good to know you might have found a solution for this issue.

Please let us know if the problem persists now that you've disabled the power saving option for your HDD.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello daubac402,

We are just checking this post and would like to know if your system has been able to boot properly after changing the power options for your drive.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
ANguy12
Beginner

Hi there,

Maybe It's ok now or not ..

Until now, My PC doesn't restarted and working properly.

If there is anything new, I will make a new reply to this converstation.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello daubac402,

Thanks for your reply. You seem to have found and appropriate solution.

We'll be glad to assist if anything else is required.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos