Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

22.1 PRO: (*preserve_for_debug*) signals not preserved

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

1. I follow the steps "2.4.1. Preserving Signals for Monitoring and Debugging" in 683819

2. I watched and followed this Intel-FPGA video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKc2ut42gU

alexislms_0-1653546029690.png

alexislms_1-1653546204613.png

alexislms_2-1653546325859.png

What do I do wrong?

Quartus Pro 22.1

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nurina
Employee

Hello,

Alright thanks for the feedback. I've let them know that you expect this fix to apply to all data types.

In the meantime your only workaround is to have the signal connected to an i/o port.

With that, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,

Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution.

View solution in original post

30 Replies
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Hi @Nurina,

Please define "use". The signal exists, it's driven by something but doesn't have any fanouts. (it can be a link_up, some counters or anything meaningful only for debugging purpose)

Also, as @sstrell suggested, adding the signal as virtual pin doesn't change anything, the signal is still optimized out.

alexislms_0-1654950068745.png

After Analysis&Synthesis:

alexislms_1-1654950091155.png

This needs to be fixed.

Regards,

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

I've also tried via the Assignment Editor:

set_instance_assignment -name PRESERVE_FOR_DEBUG ON -to *sigtodebug*

without success. The signal isn't kept.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

By use, I meant that it's driven by something with fanouts. Although with this attribute we should expect it to be preserved no matter what.

This looks like a bug, I'm reporting this issue to our engineering team. I will let you know of any updates.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Thank you for the confirmation @Nurina.

I've been trying to use this attribute for few days now, it has never worked properly.

Some times I can see the signal under "Preserved for debugging" in the "Node Finder" but the signals are driven and have fanouts, nevertheless even without the attribute they wouldn't be optimized away and are present under "Pre-synthesis".

My question was about a very simple case to show the bug, my use case is mostly using typedef and struct (packed).

typedef struct {
  logic init;
  logic [3:0] b;
} t_data;
(*preserve_for_debug*)t_data tx;
(*preserve_for_debug*)t_data rx;
(*preserve_for_debug*)t_data tx_array[4];
(*preserve_for_debug*)t_data rx_array[4];

Please make sure this is also possible using any data types of Verilog/SystemVerilog.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

This problem has been previously reported to the engineering team and they are currently working on a fix for a future version of Quartus. I'm checking with them if there is a workaround you can use while waiting for the permanent fix.

Regards,

Nurina

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

@Nurina,

Thank you, will it be in a future version (few months) or a patch (few days)? What's the time frame we can expect it to be working?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

The fix is for a future version, so it will take a few months.

For now, a workaround would be to connect the signal to a top-level output port.

Could you attach your design? The engineering team might be able to do something to help with your situation.

Regards,

Nurina

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Thank you.

I can't attach my design, the basic use cases don't work.

They can find some examples in my previous messages above. (+enum +mixed packed/unpacked arrays +...)

Looking forward to being able to use this feature.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hello,

Alright thanks for the feedback. I've let them know that you expect this fix to apply to all data types.

In the meantime your only workaround is to have the signal connected to an i/o port.

With that, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,

Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution.

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Quartus pro 23.1, we still have issues with preserve_for_debug...

This will never ends...

IPS case opened, I just comment here for tracking purpose.

0 Kudos