Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Blank window when running Quartus Prime Lite in sudo mode Ubuntu 18

MAlek2
Beginner

Hello. When i'm running Quartus Prime Lite in sudo mode i see nothing but blank screen. quartus_prime.png

I'm running Quartus with sudo because without it Quartus stucks when generates any IP.

I tried 17.1 and 18.1 Quartus versions with the same result. I didn't have that problem on Ubuntu 16.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Kenny_Tan
I will try it on my side and let u know the result soon
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Hi, Can you make sure all the library below had been installed in your Ubuntu? libc6:i386, libncurses5:i386, libxtst6:i386, libxft2:i386, libc6:i386, libncurses5:i386, libstdc++6:i386, libc6-dev-i386 libxft2, lib32z1, lib32ncurses5, lib32bz2-1.0, libpng12 Extra for ubuntu 18.04: libqt5xml5, liblzma-dev Also extra for ubuntu 18, libpng12 is no longer available via the apt-get method, download and install libpng12 from here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/libpng12-0/download
0 Kudos
MAlek2
Beginner

I checked all libraries and it is all good. I actually can run Quartus normally. But with sudo i got this problems. Maybe there is something wrong with environmental variables?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Yes.. seems like I was able to see the same.. will get back to you on this.. also, can you just use it normally?
0 Kudos
MAlek2
Beginner

Yes. I can run it normally but it stuck when generates IP instances

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Can u check on your environment variable before and after su command? Perhaps after the su command, there are some environment change. I will check on my side as well. I will check again whenever the IP instances created , it got stuck or not.
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Not sure if you have check it?
0 Kudos
MAlek2
Beginner

I've checked environment variables and they are different. Also in normal mode i have much more variables than under sudo. I tried to copy some of them but with no success.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Can you copy all of them? send us a screenshot of both of your environment variable.

0 Kudos
MAlek2
Beginner

This doesn't work for me, unfortunately. My Quartus stucks at any try to edit or create PLL, FIFO, etc. Running without sudo is not an option.

0 Kudos
MAlek2
Beginner

Previously you typed that you was able to see the same thing. How did you resolve it?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

as mention, from my side, I just dont use the su. I also face stuck issue when try to edit the megawizard. It was resolve by https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2018/why-does-the-megawizard-got-hang-.html

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Make sure the below to avoid the IP stuck.

1.Install Java from Oracle. Java version after install is:

java version "1.8.0_121"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

2. Try to install Quartus in a directory path that has no uppercase letters.

3. Right after Megawizard is opened, stretch the window out a little (drag a corner) and make it so scrolling is not necessary.

4. make sure when you launch quartus, there are no error message showing lib is missing.

0 Kudos