Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Display of amount of Block RAM used for a SC_FIFO missing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo,  

I used Quartus 16.1.203 to compile a design where I used a FIFO IP which is, I assume is synthesised/built as a RAM.  

The compilation is successful. But in the summary I do not see the amount of RAM used which is empty, and can not locate it in the Chip Planner either.  

Though the RTL Viewer shows the block and the connections.  

What could be the reason?  

attached you find a image of the resource utilization.(where capdev_rx_infifo is empty)  

Thanks,  

Alex.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I assume is synthesised/built as a RAM 

--- Quote End ---  

I assume your assumption is questionable... 

When you configure your IP you can, depending on device family and IP, chose whether to use RAM (including type if appropriate) or logic or let Quartus decide. What other resource utilisation do you see? Has Quartus simply constructed it from logic? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. I let Quartus decide (chose auto in Megawizard).  

The resource utilization for this fifo (logic unit) is completely empty as you can see in the image.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Then I assume Quartus has decided your FIFO is unnecessary to implement your design and has stripped it out. Have you connected it up correctly? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos