Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16720 Discussions

Does Quartus II still support .vwf editing?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am teaching Digital Design and we have been using Vector Waveform Files in the past as a very simple way to simulate. The current version of Quartus II (11.0) does not allow me to create a .vwf? Did this feature get dropped? If so, what is the easiest way to get students to verify their designs without using another tool or teaching them VHDL? 

Thanks, 

Bob
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a contact with Altera's University Program? I believe they have a workaround for the simulator going away that could help. I think it's here: 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/software/qsim/unv-qsim.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! I spent over an hour poking around the web looking for a clue about this. Your prompt assistance is very helpful! 

Bob
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera UPDS for Quartus II 11.0 only supports this version, i.e. it will not support even version 11.1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello icanxy; 

It sounds like you are implying that in future versions of Quartus, I will not be able to generate and simulate with waveform files. Can you confirm that this is what you mean since I do not know what UPDS stands for. 

In that case, will there be an alternative to simulate? 

Thanks, 

Bob Rumer 

CLU - Physics/Bioengineering
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you could always write an HDL testbench and simulate in modelsim. You have more control with an HDL testvench anywya.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

UPDS = University Program Design Suite (Qsim + Waveform Editor). When I install upds 11.0 to run with Quartus II 11.1, it causes error when generating output waveform file, the Waveform Editor can not open the result. I have to downgrade Quartus II to 11.0 and it can work fine.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

UPDS = University Program Design Suite (Qsim + Waveform Editor). When I install upds 11.0 to run with Quartus II 11.1, it causes error when generating output waveform file, the Waveform Editor can not open the result. I have to downgrade Quartus II to 11.0 and it can work fine. 

--- Quote End ---  

I am facing the same problem, and I did as you did but still the output can not be seen, is the operating system has an effect? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Apparently the the waveform simulation was thrown out of the Quartus above Version 9.1. Version 9.1 also tells at each single simulation, that it won't be supported in future versions. Luckily, the version 9.1 can still be downloaded. It also doesn't require a license anymore. It is somewhat hidden. See : 

https://www.altera.com/download/archives/arc-index.jsp
0 Kudos