Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Generate Case Instantiation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I would like to instantiate a parameterized sub-module "test1" based on an input value SW[6:0]. So I implement a generate case structure as follows: 

always @(*) begin 

generate 

case (SW[6:0]) 

7'b0000000: begin 

test1 t1(.a(SW[6:0]), .b(LEDR[17:6])); 

defparam t1.NUM_PULSE = 1;  

defparam t1.SAMPLES_PER_CYCLE = 8; 

end 

7'b0000001: begin 

defparam t1.SAMPLES_PER_CYCLE = 16;  

end 

default: begin 

defparam t1.SAMPLES_PER_CYCLE = 8; 

end 

endcase 

endgenerate 

end 

But the Altera gives me the following errors: 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(74) near text "generate"; expecting "end" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(77) near text "("; expecting ";" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(79) near text "defparam"; expecting "end" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(82) near text "("; expecting ";" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(84) near text "defparam"; expecting "end" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(87) near text "("; expecting ";" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(89) near text "defparam"; expecting "end" 

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at Correlation.v(92) near text "endgenerate"; expecting "end" 

Error (10112): Ignored design unit "Correlation" at Correlation.v(7) due to previous errors 

Can any of you gives me some hints on what causes this compilation error?  

Thanks 

-Roger
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The generate construct, as well as module instantiations and defparams, cannot be inside an always block.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried to remove the always block, and it shows the same error messages. I guess the reason that causes this is SW[6:0] is a variable not a constant expression. So I guess it cannot pass the static elaboration? What I am interested to know is that is there a way to instantiate the same module with different set of parameters based on an input register value. As I showed in the above example, when the input register value is 7'b0, I will parameterize NUM_PULSE TO be 1 and SAMPLES_PER_CYCLE to be 8, while the input register value is 7'b1, I will parameterize NUM_PULSE TO be 1 and SAMPLES_PER_CYCLE to be 16, etc. I would really appreciate your guidance on this if you have a solution. 

Thanks, 

-Roger
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

is there a way to instantiate the same module with different set of parameters based on an input register value 

--- Quote End ---  

No way. Module parameters as well generate expressions must be constants. Parameters define the hardware structure and logic wiring which can't be dynamically redefined.  

You need to redesign the module to take e.g. SamplesPerCycle as a variable input. A parameter may specify the maximum sample count or the variable width.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe you need to learn how to design hardware first, then learn how to describe that hardware in Verilog. You can design hardware that dynamically responds to certain inputs in a specific way, but you can not change the specification dynamically - that is static.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got you. Thank you for the reply.

0 Kudos