Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

How to open a par file created with earlier version

corestar
New Contributor I

I'm attempting to use the following example:

Arria 10 Nios II Simple Socket Server Design Example  

However, when I attempt open the a10_sss_171.par file with Quartus 18.0 Standard, I get an error:

"Design template instantiation failed"

How can I open a design file created with an earlier version?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

This may be a versioning issue or it may be that the template is for the Pro edition of the tool and you want to use it in Standard edition (Arria 10 being the only family that is supported in both Standard and Pro).

The .par files have always been version specific.  Maybe you could install 17.1 Pro and create the project with the template, then bring it into 18.0 Pro (instead of Standard).  You can't take a Pro project and convert it back to Standard (though you can convert a Standard project into a Pro project).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

This may be a versioning issue or it may be that the template is for the Pro edition of the tool and you want to use it in Standard edition (Arria 10 being the only family that is supported in both Standard and Pro).

The .par files have always been version specific.  Maybe you could install 17.1 Pro and create the project with the template, then bring it into 18.0 Pro (instead of Standard).  You can't take a Pro project and convert it back to Standard (though you can convert a Standard project into a Pro project).

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

@sstrell,

Thanks, that's probably the problem. I don't have a Pro license right now, but maybe my FAE can extract it for me.

The later versions of Quartus NIOS II tools generate a "Simple Socket Server" design that expects Modular SGDMA, but the hardware examples all use the regular SGDMA. I think I have it working, but it was not obvious.

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @corestar,

Hope this message find you well and good to know that it is working now, we would be closing the thread. If you have further queries, Please do post a response in the next 15 days.

After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

Warm Regards

0 Kudos