Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

I want to solve 'top level design entity is undefined' problem. Please help me.

Austin_7
Beginner

I'm the student and the beginner at FPGA.  I found some people who had the same problem. I think I checked  what they did, but the problem still exists. Please help me. I uploaded one minute video. Sorry for bad English because I'm Korean student. But you can see the window and it may help you to find the problem. I also uploaded the file.

I really hope you to help me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The module in your HDL is named "hello" which doesn't match what you've specified as the top-level entity ("2_2_Hello_Word").  Either change the HDL code or the name of the top-level entity in the project settings.

Also note that none of that HDL code in 2_2_Hello_Word.v is synthesizable so compiling it in Quartus isn't going to do anything.  The code you've written is more like what would be a simulation testbench for a simulation tool like ModelSim.

0 Kudos
Austin_7
Beginner

I really appreciate your help. After I changed my module name, the different error which you said occurred. 

"Error (12061): Can't synthesize current design -- Top partition does not contain any logic" 

The code was from the first part of the book and I think I really have to change the book to study,,,

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

안녕하세요! 

Since you are starting to design FPGA, you may checkout the course below as a starting point.  

How to Begin a Simple FPGA Design

After that, you may checkout the webpage below to further explore courses that you are interested to learn. (fyi: How to Begin a Simple FPGA Design course is under FPGA Designers - level 200)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/curricula.html 

Hope it helps in your FPGA journey.  

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I believed that your question has been addressed, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any replies from the Intel or community support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos