Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15327 Discussions

I want to solve 'top level design entity is undefined' problem. Please help me.

Austin_7
Beginner

I'm the student and the beginner at FPGA.  I found some people who had the same problem. I think I checked  what they did, but the problem still exists. Please help me. I uploaded one minute video. Sorry for bad English because I'm Korean student. But you can see the window and it may help you to find the problem. I also uploaded the file.

I really hope you to help me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The module in your HDL is named "hello" which doesn't match what you've specified as the top-level entity ("2_2_Hello_Word").  Either change the HDL code or the name of the top-level entity in the project settings.

Also note that none of that HDL code in 2_2_Hello_Word.v is synthesizable so compiling it in Quartus isn't going to do anything.  The code you've written is more like what would be a simulation testbench for a simulation tool like ModelSim.

Austin_7
Beginner

I really appreciate your help. After I changed my module name, the different error which you said occurred. 

"Error (12061): Can't synthesize current design -- Top partition does not contain any logic" 

The code was from the first part of the book and I think I really have to change the book to study,,,

Thank you.

RichardTanSY_Intel

안녕하세요! 

Since you are starting to design FPGA, you may checkout the course below as a starting point.  

How to Begin a Simple FPGA Design

After that, you may checkout the webpage below to further explore courses that you are interested to learn. (fyi: How to Begin a Simple FPGA Design course is under FPGA Designers - level 200)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/curricula.html 

Hope it helps in your FPGA journey.  

RichardTanSY_Intel

I believed that your question has been addressed, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any replies from the Intel or community support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.