Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL Licensing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am running into a licensing error when trying to compile my OpenCL kernels using the aoc command.  

I have the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable set to the port@sever that contains the license file for the FPGA SDK. When I open Quartus Prime Pro Edition 16.1.0.196, all of the licensing information comes through successfully via the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable so I know that it is set properly. 

I am attempting to simply compile the helloworld application from Altera using "aoc device\hello_world.cl" and I am targeting the a10gx board that is already installed. The aoc version is 16.1.0 Build 196. 

The compilation is successful if I use the "-march=emulator" flag with the aoc command; however, I need to get the board utilization report which is not generated when using that flag. 

Is there some other step missing to license the Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL? Or has anyone had this issue? 

Thank you, 

Luke Kljucaric
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your problem has nothing to do with the license, you should add the --report switch to your aoc command to get the "On-screen Estimated Resource Usage Summary". For Quartus 16.1 and above, a more detailed report will be available in the folder named "report" inside of the folder created by the OpenCL compiler. Make sure to carefully read the "Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL Programming Guide" and "Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL Best Practices Guide". 

P.S. From what I remember, Quartus v16.1.0 was broken for OpenCL compilation due to a bug which was fixed in v16.1.1. I strongly recommend using the latest v16.1.2 (you need to patch Quartus and AOC separately) if you have a BSP that is compatible with v16.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried the --report switch and nothing changes running aoc with either -march=emulator or without. Additionally, the -march=emulator switch does not generate a "report" folder. Like mentioned before, running aoc without the -march=emulator switch fails because it was not able to acquire a valid license.  

I have updated Quartus, the programming tools, and AOCL to v16.1.2 build 203. I've followed very closing the Getting Started guide so all path and required variables are set. LM_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct port and server that contains the license for the Altera tools including the Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL and Quartus Prime Pro is licensed correctly in the same manner. 

Let me know if there would be anything else that I am missing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

More specifically, this is what I am seeing if it helps: 

hello_world>aoc device\hello_world.cl -o bin\hello_world.aocx -v 

aoc: Environment checks are completed successfully. 

You are now compiling the full flow!! 

aoc: Selected default target board a10gx 

aoc: Running OpenCL parser.... 

aoc: OpenCL parser completed successfully. 

aoc: Compiling.... 

aoc: Linking with IP library ... 

Could not acquire a valid license for the Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM). 

Stack dump: 

0. Program arguments: C:/intelFPGA_pro/16.1/hld/windows64/bin/aocl-llc -mar 

ch=fpga -mattr=option3wrapper -fpga-const-cache=1 -board c:/intelFPGA_pro/16.1/h 

ld/board/a10_ref/hardware/a10gx/board_spec.xml -dbg-info-enabled hello_world.bc 

-o hello_world.v 

Error: Verilog generator FAILED. 

Refer to hello_world/hello_world.log for details.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure your license is also valid for OpenCL? OpenCL compilation needs its own specific field in the license file (separate from Quartus license). OpenCL emulation does not need a license and works without a valid OpenCL license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Another individual I am working with has set up the same environment, in the same way, with the same tools, etc. and their installation and licensing is working properly. We cannot seem to figure out why the licensing is not working with my machine. There are 20 floating licenses on the server and we are the only two utilizing them. We've tried a fresh install of Windows 7 and that lead us back to the same point.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you have the same problem on Windows on the same machine, your problem might be some strange incompatibility between the license manager and your network card, or some firewall issue inside your network. I recommend contacting Altera directly; I personally cannot think of any logical explanations.

0 Kudos