Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Is it possible to archive snapshots?

jorva
New Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to be able to archive Quartus Pro's intermediate results in a similar manner that Vivado does with design checkpoints (.dcp). The  snapshot seemed to be a similar tool but, on further investigation, doesn't seem to be geared towards this kind of usage.

For example, even though I activated the creation of the snapshots (and they are available when opening the project), I cannot export to a .qdb file (error message: 'no partitions are available to export'). Why can't the default partition be exported?

The objective is to be able to go back to some previous implementation results (of a complete design) without having to rerun the complete implementation.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
ADM123
Beginner

To archive a snapshot:

1. Select the Process Apps or Toolkits tab.
  2. Select the process application or toolkit for which you want to archive snapshots. If multiple tracks exist, select the track that you want from the drop-down menu.
  3. Find the snapshot that you want, and then click Archive from its pop-up menu (ADM123_0-1612373631739.png).
  4. When prompted, click Archive to confirm your selection.
0 Kudos
ADM123
Beginner

To archive a snapshot:

1. Select the Process Apps or Toolkits tab.
  2. Select the process application or toolkit for which you want to archive snapshots. If multiple tracks exist, select the track that you want from the drop-down menu.
  3. Find the snapshot that you want, and then click Archive from its pop-up menu (ADM123_0-1612373631739.png).
  4. When prompted, click Archive to confirm your selection.
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm not sure what the previous poster is referring to, but there is supposed to be an option (Project menu -> Export Design) as opposed to (Project menu -> Export Design Partition).  The export design option is supposed to let you export the synthesized or final design as a whole as a .qdb (page 46 here: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-compiler.pdf).  For some reason, I'm not seeing that option in 20.4 even though it is documented in the user guide.  Hmm.

What you could do if you are not partitioning your design is to export the whole design as a partition (referred to as the root_partition in the tool).  Open the Design Partitions window from the Assignments menu and click the 3 dots (...) to add the "Post Synthesis Export File" and "Post Final Export File" options.  Enter .qdb file names in these columns for the root_partition, and that will automatically create post synthesis and final .qdb files for the entire design.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

Hello @sstrell,

(Project menu -> Export Design) doesn't exist in the version I'm using either (QPro 20.2).

I believe your second suggestion is what I'm looking for and I tried it through scripting (in the Quartus tcl console):

load_package design
design::export_partition root_partition -snapshot synthesized -file ip.qdb
Error:0x1a3be630
Error:    while executing
Error:"design::export_partition root_partition -snapshot synthesized -file post_synth.qdb"

However, I haven't tested yet with the qsf assignments:

set_instance_assignment -name EXPORT_PARTITION_SNAPSHOT_SYNTHESIZED post_synth.qdb -to | -entity top_fpga_ddr4
set_instance_assignment -name EXPORT_PARTITION_SNAPSHOT_FINAL post_fit.qdb -to | -entity top_fpga_ddr4 

This requires a re-run of the implementation I guess? That takes some time...

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

Just saw the following explanation for the error:

Error(18895): The TCL command design::export_partition from the design package is not supported while running on the Quartus Graphical User Interface 

The idea is to do it using scripting anyways so I'll try that.

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

An update: The qdb files are effectively generated using the commands

design::export_partition root_partition -snapshot synthesized -file post_synth.qdb
design::export_partition root_partition -snapshot final -file post_fit.qdb

However, I don't see how I can import this qdb. When I assign it to the root_partition of the archived project, analysis & elaboration gives the following error:

Error(19829): ../../../../quartus/post_fit.qdb cannot be assigned. The ../../../../quartus/post_fit.qdb file is missing Partial Reconfiguration or Reserved Core subpartitions and assigned to the root partition. In order to assign a QDB file to the root partition, it must be created from a design using Partial Reconfiguration or Reserved Core subpartitions. To correct this error, ensure that the creation and assignment of the QDB is correct. 

To restate my original objectives. I would like to :

1) retain a reasonably sized database of a completed implementation which, at a later date, can be reopened (without re-running the implementation) to be further analyzed (timings, placement, etc).

2) analyze an intermediate snapshot while the (scripted) implementation is not yet complete.

Maybe the snapshot is not the ideal method to go about this? As a comparison, Vivado allows this with the design checkpoints.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Hi Jovya,

You may take a look in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-block-based-design.pdf

It teach you how to export and import the root partition.

Try this out and let me know if still fail.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

@Kenny_Tan Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried to follow "1.5.2. Reusing Root Partitions". However, I don't do the steps described in 1.5.2.1 and 1.5.2.2 as my objective is not to create a root_partition with the peripherals and a reserved space for future use (see my previous post). As per 1.5.2.3 the fitter completes but then I get the same error as in my initial post when I try the second step: 'No partitions are available for export.'

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Did your .vhdl/v consist of peripheral code like DDR/PCIE/Tranceiver?

Can you attached your design.qar files us to take a look?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

@Kenny_Tan Sorry for the delay.

The design does include DDR. These are proprietary files which I cannot share in this forum.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

It would be abit hard without looking into the design.qar files.

Can you check your email? we will discuss more on there.

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

@Kenny_Tan I made a small design based on a simple Intel IP (RAM) and I get the exact same behavior. The archive is attached.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

I try to compile the design in Q20.4 pro.

I am getting error:

Error(13785): VHDL Use Clause error at BurstGenWr.large_design.vhd(61): design library "altera_work" does not contain primary unit "toolspck" 

Error(13786): VHDL error at BurstGenWr.large_design.vhd(151): object "log2" is used but not declared 

Error(13786): VHDL error at BurstGenWr.large_design.vhd(155): object "log2" is used but not declared 

Is there any things missing in the Qar files?

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

Sorry, hereby the corrected qar.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Sorry, I will need sometime to work on this. Will get back to you by end of next week.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

can you try to use include at the top of your .v/vhdl files to include the necessary files?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Any update?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question that we have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos
jorva
New Contributor I

@Kenny_Tan ,

Sorry for the delay. I had lost track of this and the notifications were in my spam.

Given that test_ram only contains test_rd_ram.ip I don't understand what you mean by "can you try to use include at the top of your .v/vhdl files to include the necessary files?"

0 Kudos