Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15339 Discussions

Is there an Editor in Platform Designer?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I wanted to edit/create some custom IP, that is going to be included in a Qsys-project, is there any way to edit the VHDL of a file from within Platform Designer? 

I know I can define the wrapper with its ports/conduits etc, but to actually add more VHDL inside, I currently need to use a 3rd party text editor. 

The irony is that if you open the file (post synthesis) from the Quartus Project navigator, you get the copied-version in the ../project_name/submodules/ folder...why?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.Why can't you write a logic and then create a custom IP? 

--- Quote Start ---  

is there any way to edit the VHDL of a file from within Platform Designer?  

--- Quote End ---  

No, can't edit/add the logic by using platform designer for the custom component. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I know I can define the wrapper with its ports/conduits etc, but to actually add more VHDL inside, I currently need to use a 3rd party text editor 

--- Quote End ---  

Why use 3rd party either you can use Quartus itself. You first create a wrapper and then add logic and compile the design and use it. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use a 3rd party editor because I can set my editor to always look for my files in their source directory.  

If you use the Project Navigator to open a file, Quartus opens the copied version of the file, not the source.  

Is there a way to change this? 

Thanks.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Have you set Preferred Text Editor in Quartus? 

Form tools->options->Preferred Text Editor. 

Select text editor of you choice and command-line point to .exe file. 

If still quartus opens copied version of the file check the text editor settings. 

I have used Notepad++ and opened the file from quartus it opens the source file only. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you go to the Files tab of the Project Navigator, instead of the Hierarchy tab, you can double-click a source file to open and edit it.  

However, for a custom component in Platform Designer, what you're seeing in the Project Navigator is the generated output of Platform Designer since you added this as a custom component to a system. That's why the original source file is not opening from the Project Navigator; Quartus sees the generated output, which is a copy of the original. 

The only sure way to open the source for editing is to do File -> Open. You'll still have to regenerate the _hw.tcl file and the system anyway.