Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Modifying TimeQuest Temperature Parameter

VCham
New Contributor I

Hello, I am developing firmware for a Cyclone V FPGA. Is it possible to modify the TimeQuest analyzer to run the slow and fast corner testing at temperatures other than 100C and -40C?

We're hoping to test it closer to our actual system parameters. 

I tried modifying the junction temperature assignments in the QSF but that resulted in a synthesis failure.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The timing models in the Timing Analyzer are fixed and meant for the extremes of device operation.  If your design meets timing at those extremes, it will work at the in-range temperature you run at.

Certain devices have additional models if your device is industrial or military grade that go beyond the standard commercial grade models.  You can access these models in the operating conditions section of the Timing Analyzer.

The junction temperature setting you probably are referring to is for power analysis, not timing, though I'm not sure why that would cause your design to fail synthesis.  What error(s) did you get?

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

I didn't save the error, but during the fitter stage it said something along the lines of "invalid for selected device"

However, I did notice that there was an option under Operating Settings and Conditions to change the temperature min/max to different values. Not the ones I had manually written but closer. So perhaps there are preset options that are dependent on the device. This did result in the Timing Analyzer running the corner studies at the new values.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

It seems to me that you have found the answer. Do you need further help in regards to this case?

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

No I am all set. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I’m glad that your question has been addressed. With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos