Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

OMG. What did you think?

mfro
New Contributor I

As there doesn't seem to be any dedicated feedback forum for forum issues anymore, I post here to express my complete dissatisfaction with the new 'solution':

Although the old Altera forums weren't especially fast and user friendly, the new one appears to me as huge quantum leap. Backwards.

It's awfully slow, apparently buggy (messages about Javascript blocking the browser everywhere), pages constantly displaying busy indicators.

Long story short: I consider it completely useless in it's current state. If you want to get rid of your trusty Altera customers, this is a perfect way to do so...

32 Replies
Tricky
New Contributor II

It does appear to be trying to be a Stack Overflow copy.

I notice all the sub forums have dissapeared, and all sub-categories just merged into one. What a mess.

JCrai
Novice

It is day one, I hope they plan to implement some improvements!

I notice you cannot search the forum using google any more, which is a bit drawback. The search functionality on the previous site wasnt great so 90% of the time I was using google with site:alteraforum.com but now I get a single page of results.... searching in the new forum only shows the titles where showing at least the start of the issue would be useful. More filter options etc would be great.

mfro
New Contributor I

I wouldn't complain if it was just missing functionality.

For me, it's mainly about stability. I don't know what other's experience is, but for me, basically every second click hangs my browser (latest Firefox with no problems elsewhere).

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

Same here. I tried several browsers and all have the same problem. Internet Explorer/Edge just hangs, Firefox lets know a script is hanging.

I don't like the new "functionality" either. No sub forums, no read/unread indication, no list of all the messages since the last time we logged in... I hope all of this will improve soon

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

I did a performance analysis on this forum topic with Firefox and it looks like there is a lot of room for improvement... 79 requests for a single page, over 2MB of javascript.

This was with tracking disabled. The forum also uses Adobe Audience Manager, Doubleclick, Google Analytics and Oracle Eloqua, and this probably doesn't help with performance.

forum.png

josyb
Beginner

The Altera forum was not broken., , perhaps not perfect,

Why could Intel not just have changed the name and kept it like it was.

What we have now is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Thank you for alerting us to slowness of pages loading. We are investigating this and trouble shooting it now. 

We are also working on establishing a direct line to report issues and appreciate all your feedback.

Thank you,

Mary T.

Community Manager

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I wholeheartedly agree that this forum (albeit the 'intel standard forum format') is a great leap backward from the existing AlteraForum implementation. I routinely monitored the AlteraForum using the 'show me the new posts since the last time I visited' entry point, which no longer seems to be available. My screen is now mostly whitespace, information content in the display is very sparse, leading to lots of page reloads and scrolling for no apparent benefit. The lack of sub forums/categories is also a significant step backward in usability. Sigh. It would have been a lot better to keep the old forum software and just do a swap of the Altera logos and text to Intel ...

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I also don't understand why my useriid gets changed from ak6dn (which I login with) to donorth when I post on this forum. There seems to be an identity translation that is going on somewhere after logging iinto intel.com as ak6dn and then navigating to this subsite. Very irritating ...

Ok, so my loginid is ak6dn so I finally figured out I could set my FPGA profile id to AK6DN (all caps), it would not allow me to set my FPGA profile id to my login id ('it is in use by another user' -- i.e. ME!) ...

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

Somehow this forum doesn't use your login by default, but a profile name made from your surname and last name. You need to go to your profile to change your displayed user ID on the forum. Could the other user be your MySupport account? Those got transferred automatically to the Intel support (with a password reset) and now both the Mysupport and the forum accounts are on the same platform. I had a problem with that because both accounts use the same email address.

From what I understood Intel is working on the performance issues, and will get the Google search working again. The links to the old posts in Altera forums should also be redirected automatically to here.

I've talked about the read/unread marks, and having a list of all the unread messages since the last log in, which in my opinion are the basic minimum functions that are required to make this forum usable. We'll see where it goes from here

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi @ak6dn,

It looks like you had two separate email accounts. We updated your nickname as requested and I'll send you a private message with that information. Thanks,

Mary T.

Community Manager

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

What a disaster! The Altera forums were extremely useful and Intel has made a mess of things. Others have mentioned how slow they are.

1. The migration procedure Intel sent me a few weeks ago did not work. Had to create a new account.
  2. Instead of conveniently showing the latest posts and clearly showing which ones I have not read, it now shows "Top Posts" and I have to switch it to Latest each time. Apparently, Intel decided a topic "HW Multiplier" from 2004 is a TOP post. Or how about "Download Quartus ii 9.1 SP 2 Web Edition" from 2012. I'm sure we were all at the edge of our seats waiting for answers to those ones.
  3. Instead of showing page numbers at the bottom, it now has a horrid "View More".
  4. I have to type in a stupid little box like this one.
  5. For even short posts, you have to hit "Show More"
JCrai
Novice

I agree that current state of the forum is not up to scratch.

After the altera documentation the forum was the most invaluable resource available for problems that didnt require a SR. The community is going to suffer without some serious improvements.

The problems with the forum are compounded when you run into stupid issues like the text editor in the reply window not showing text as highlighted when you select it!!! (using firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit) on w7 64bit)

Other improvements I can see

1. the enter code window could have line numbers, when its posted line numbers are added but why not have them in enter code window.

2. everything @corestar said!!!

mfro
New Contributor I

If you use search from the toplevel page ("Welcome to the Intel Community") it (still) always hangs the browser no matter what you search for.

-> search is not usable

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi @mfro​ , Can you let us know which browser you're using? I used chrome and had a 2-3 second lag, but it did bring up a list of search items so we need to investigate more. And we have 2 searches, one specific for searching on the community, and one for searching Intel.com. Can you let us know which search field you were using? With these two pieces of info, we'll try to replicate your issue so we can address it. Thank you!

Mary T.

Community Manager

0 Kudos
mfro
New Contributor I

I'm using Firefox (61.0.1 64 bit on Linux) right now, but the search hung for me with Internet Explorer on Windows as well. From the community start page, I search for "mary" in the "search the community" search field. Firefox hangs after a few second and brings up a "script hang" message. I stopped the search after about 3 minutes with nothing returned.

And you are right, it works with Chrome (just tested).

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

It works for me, with Firefox (Windows) and Internet Explorer. I had lots of "script hang" messages on Monday but almost none after that.

0 Kudos
RParks
Novice

I'm experiencing problems with the search too - if I use 'Search the community', I get results within a few seconds but if I click on any of the results it hangs the browser. Environment is Chrome on Win 7.

The workaround for anyone else who needs it is to run the search as above but then instead of clicking on any of the results, I copy and paste them into a new google search and I can get to the page fine.

0 Kudos
Tricky
New Contributor II

Ok, so nearly two weeks in - and it feels like the forum has died!

On the old forum, there would be many new posts every day. Since the switch, it feels like a busy day if theres 1 or two new posts.

0 Kudos
mfro
New Contributor I

> Ok, so nearly two weeks in - and it feels like the forum has died!

Hmm. Objective achieved?

0 Kudos