Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15321 Discussions

OpenCL Compiling andother Improvments

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'am back after severel years. 

I'am an information technician and develope for (ASM,Pascal,C++,C#,php, nodejs) for 18 years now as a day job. 

Back in 2001/2002 I developed an well desigend and fast Bitcoin miner for an XD2000i (Stratix III). 

And now I got my hand on two Terasic TR5-F45M (5SGXEA7N2F45C2) or DE5Net and have a new project developing... 

I develop on my old custom build PC 

-CPU AMD FX 8350 (8-Core) 

-RAM 16GB 

-TR5-F45M (Stratix V) 

-Windows 10 Pro 64 

-Altera/Intel FPGA OpenCl SDK 

-Visual Studio 2017 

I have moved the whole "altera" folder and the project to an fast PCI-e SSD, and my compile times (first stage) dropped from 10 to 20 minutes to around 2 minutes. 

The second stage now uses up to 100% of all 8 cores and aound 12 GB RAM, and that wasn't so before, I utilized around 12% to 25 % on average. 

compiling still takes time, and I just sit here and wait.. but I wanted to tell you about this improvemnt. 

best regards Dennis 

any comments are welcome.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I'am back after severel years. 

I'am an information technician and develope for (ASM,Pascal,C++,C#,php, nodejs) for 18 years now as a day job. 

Back in 2001/2002 I developed an well desigend and fast Bitcoin miner for an XD2000i (Stratix III). 

And now I got my hand on two Terasic TR5-F45M (5SGXEA7N2F45C2) or DE5Net and have a new project developing... 

I develop on my old custom build PC 

-CPU AMD FX 8350 (8-Core) 

-RAM 16GB 

-TR5-F45M (Stratix V) 

-Windows 10 Pro 64 

-Altera/Intel FPGA OpenCl SDK 

-Visual Studio 2017 

I have moved the whole "altera" folder and the project to an fast PCI-e SSD, and my compile times (first stage) dropped from 10 to 20 minutes to around 2 minutes. 

The second stage now uses up to 100% of all 8 cores and aound 12 GB RAM, and that wasn't so before, I utilized around 12% to 25 % on average. 

compiling still takes time, and I just sit here and wait.. but I wanted to tell you about this improvemnt. 

best regards Dennis 

any comments are welcome. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi. I saw you try to mine Ethereum on FPGA. You uses TR5-F45M . Is it was successful?