Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Problems for installing Quartus II Web on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

MAlba3
Beginner

Hi,

I have an old Altera Board (DE2 Development and Education Board - with Cyclone II) and I am trying to install the Quartus II Web software for using it. I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I have downloaded the setup files, but when I try to run the setup.sh file, I receive the following message:

libpng warning: Application jmp_buf size changed

Memory access error (memory dumped)

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Libpng version: 1.6.34 (I used the command convert -debug coder xc: a.png 2>&1 | grep version for checking it)

Regarding the 32 bit libraries, I don't know how to check if they are correctly installed.

Thanks,

Marcio

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mfro
New Contributor I

You can't use current Quartus II as Cyclone II is not supported anymore. The latest version supporting the Cyclone II is 13.0sp1.

It is possible to make this old version run on current Linux installations, but it needs a little twiddling: shared libraries that come with current Linux installations are incompatible with this old Quartus II.

The easy way is to install Ubuntu 10.x in a virtual environment. The old Quartus version will run there provided the required 32 bit libraries are installed as well. The more advanced way (eliminating the virtualization performance loss) would be to "beef" up the native installation with the old shared libs (redirecting lib use with LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

It's definitively doable. I have 13.0 and 13.1 running well on a current Debian Testing system.

0 Kudos
Chua
Beginner

Try to install this first.

sudo apt-get install libstdc++6:i386 libc6:i386 libx11-dev:i386 libxext-dev:i386 libxau-dev:i386 libxdmcp-dev:i386 libfreetype6:i386 fontconfig:i386 expat:i386

0 Kudos