Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Quartus PRO and Quartus STANDARD FPGA Device Support

Dagobah
Novice

I am interested in the Cyclone 10 LP and Cyclone 10 GX devices but the GX is supported only under Quartus PRO and the LP is supported only under Quartus STANDARD.  I currently have Quartus STANDARD but it seems that if I upgrade the license to Quartus PRO I will no longer have access to Cyclone 10 LP or the MAX10 and Cyclone V Family of devices.  Is it a requirement to purchase both Quartus STANDARD and PRO and maintain two licenses and two annual support payments to access these devices simultaneously?  Why does Quartus PRO not include the device support that Quartus STANDARD provides plus additional devices for the upgrade cost?  Please elaborate on what is intended by Intel to support these conflicting devices.  Would I be better off not using the Cyclone 10 GX and migrating to Arria 10 which is supported under Quartus STANDARD?  Is there a special license available to access the Cyclone 10 GX under Quartus STANDARD?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

A Pro license should let you use Standard or Pro.  Pro is just a feature line in the license on top of Standard.  You can install both versions on the same computer.

Pro is a separate branch of the tool meant for high-end devices.  That's why it only supports the GX and not the LP, which are both Cyclone 10 devices by name, but include different feature sets.

Arria 10 happens to be the only device family fully supported in both Standard and Pro, FYI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

A Pro license should let you use Standard or Pro.  Pro is just a feature line in the license on top of Standard.  You can install both versions on the same computer.

Pro is a separate branch of the tool meant for high-end devices.  That's why it only supports the GX and not the LP, which are both Cyclone 10 devices by name, but include different feature sets.

Arria 10 happens to be the only device family fully supported in both Standard and Pro, FYI.

0 Kudos
Dagobah
Novice

Hi SSTREL,

Having to install both Quartus Pro and Quartus Standard Development tools simultaneously, with only one upgraded license to manage both sets of tools was where the uncertainty was when reading the details on the Quartus download page and associated FPGA Device Support. 

Thanks for clarifying how that mechanism works.

0 Kudos