Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Quartus Prime Lite with NIOS2 Generates Time Limited SOF File

JanFranken
Novice

Good day,

I am using Quartus Prime Lite 20.1.1.

When I compile with a NIOS2 in my design it generates a Time Limited .sof output file.

I checked the Asembler -> Encrypted Core Cores Summary and it only has the Nios II Embedded Processor Encrypted output (OpenCore Plus) and the Signal Tap (Licensed) listed.

Changing the Intel FPGA Evaluation Mode setting between enabled/disabled does not make a difference.

Why does my Quartus Prime Lite Edition generate a Time Limited SOF file?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JanFranken
Novice

Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

As you state, you are using a Nios processor.  If you're using the f (fast) version, it requires a license, so your .sof is time-limited.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/licensing.html#1_license_key_required_

0 Kudos
JanFranken
Novice

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Did the previous comment help? 

Nurina

0 Kudos
JanFranken
Novice

Hi Nurina, yes I changed to NIOS 2 e and now it works thanks.

0 Kudos
James_B
New Contributor II

Nios has a tiered pricing / feature structure: 

1. Nios II/e - free

2. Nios II/f - non-free, can be purchased here 

Nios II/f is needed if you want embedded single cycle multiplier and memory management unit (MMU) for running Linux. 

0 Kudos
JanFranken
Novice
0 Kudos
PShar32
New Contributor I

Hi, ..

I am using Quartus rime lite... And I have intel university program license... "my design uses three NIOS II fast core, and HPS in cyclone v FPGA" But when i compile  I get error regarding limited time of use.. !:

"Error (210039): File F:/micro_pmu_structure_01/output_files/micro_pmu_daq_time_limited.sof contains one or more time-limited mega functions that support the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature that will not work after the hardware evaluation time expires. Refer to the Messages window for evaluation time details."

I don't know why it appears like that. ! please help me.. ! my design is ready and i want to deploy in field..?

regards

-------

Pratik

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Not sure why you're responding to this old solved thread, but as stated, the f core requires licensing as mentioned earlier.

0 Kudos
JanFranken
Novice

Hi Pratik,

Did you try to change your NIOS II/f (fast) to NIOS II/e (economic) as mentioned above?

Best Regards,

Jan.

0 Kudos
PShar32
New Contributor I

I Think it doesn't matter I have a license for NIOS II IP core.  When I use only NIOS II fast core it does not give any error. 

I might need a Licensed version of Quartus Prime software (standard version) getting rid of that king of error.  and be able to generate general .sof file (not time_limited .sof file).

regards

---------

Pratik Sharma

0 Kudos