Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus synthesis of unconstraint array in a record being part of a generic package.

OSchu4
Beginner

​Hi guys,

I have little example code:

A generic package:

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; package test_pkg is generic( N : positive := 20 ); type t_arr is array(natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(N-1 downto 0); type t_rec is record data : t_arr(0 to 3); end record; end test_pkg; package body test_pkg is end test_pkg;

A instance of the generic package:

library ieee; package test10_pkg is new work.test_pkg generic map ( N => 10 );

And a rtl-testbench:

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; use work.test10_pkg.all; entity tb is port( test1_in : in t_rec; test1_out1 : out t_rec; test1_out2 : out t_arr(0 to 3); test1_out3 : out std_logic_vector(9 downto 0); test1_out4 : out std_logic; test1_out5 : out std_logic_vector(1 downto 0) ); end tb; architecture rtl of tb is begin test1_out1 <= test1_in; test1_out2 <= test1_in.data; test1_out3 <= test1_in.data(0); test1_out4 <= test1_in.data(1)(5); test1_out5 <= test1_in.data(1)(3 downto 2); end rtl;

And a screenshot of the RTL:

screen_20190704_105459.png

Can some explain why the outputs 4 and 5 are not connected in the RTL?

Best Regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kenny_Tan
Hi Oliver, May I know what Quartus version that you were using? Std or Pro? This might not be supported yet, can you try it on Modelsim and see if this work? Thanks
0 Kudos
OSchu4
Beginner

Hi,

I am using Prime Pro 18.1.2 Build 277.

I am surprised because the IEEE 1076-2008 fixpoint package is a generic package. Surely you must have support for that.

Regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
I am getting some error try to use your code above. can you correct it and send it back?
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
posted a file.
0 Kudos
OSchu4
Beginner

sorry I cannot open the file in 18.2 - I do not have a 19.2 installation.

I have checked again in 18.2, my code example compiles fine. Just copy the three parts as they are, e.g. in a single file called tb.vhd, make it the top-level, set vhdl-2008 option and off you go.

0 Kudos
OSchu4
Beginner

Hi,

I have tested the example code above with modelsim and it works just fine. The version I used is this:

> ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION 10.6d

> Revision: 2018.02

> Date: Feb 24 2018

Can you comment any further on the issue why this happens?

Regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Hi, Why don't you attached your design.qar files? You can archieve it by Project -> Archive Project? This way I can make sure there are no error by just copying the files above to compiles. Thanks
0 Kudos
OSchu4
Beginner

Hi,

good idea - here it is!

Regards

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

I try to run the simulation, it shows that test1-out5 and test1_4 is having zero value. Which is the code that you had written is not recognized in modelsim as well.

If you can prove the code in IEEE std should be usable, I can help to file an enhancement for you. Will attached for you on this.

0 Kudos
OSchu4
Beginner

Hi,

In you screenshot, you clearly see that modelsim does recognize it because it changes from "red" (X) to "0". And second, your stimulus is wrong, please try again with the following:

force -freeze sim:/tb/test1_in.data(0) 10'hFFF 0

The bits (5) and (3 downto 2) are used, with h"111" you just stimulated bit (0),(4) and (8).

thank you

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

The result are still zero

0 Kudos
OSchu4
Beginner

Hi,

Please try all of the arrays elements, as you did before!

force -freeze sim:/tb/test1_in.data(0) 10'hFFF 0

force -freeze sim:/tb/test1_in.data(1) 10'hFFF 0

force -freeze sim:/tb/test1_in.data(2) 10'hFFF 0

force -freeze sim:/tb/test1_in.data(3) 10'hFFF 0

thank you

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Thanks, it is now working. I will log a bug to our developer.

0 Kudos