Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Question about 1 port ram

Hello, I am new to VHDL. Currently I need to use M20K memory on Stratix V chip to store some data. I have two of these kind memory, m1 and m2. Each have 128 data, each data is 32 bit. I also use comparator from IP Catalog to do the comparison and pick the smallest 128 numbers among m1 and m2. I am wondering if I can directly add process in the architecture of m1 and m2 to make it easier to do the comparison. 

Many thanks for the help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

128 data at 32 bit is only 4k, using only about 20% of the ram. 

What architecture are you talking about. Do you have some code we can see?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

128 data at 32 bit is only 4k, using only about 20% of the ram. 

What architecture are you talking about. Do you have some code we can see? 

--- Quote End ---  

thank you for your help! 

the following is the code automatically generated from IP Catalog wizard for the 1 port RAM using M20K memory. I am wondering if I can add some extra ports/components, and add some process into the architecture part to perform some actions. 

LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; LIBRARY altera_mf; USE altera_mf.altera_mf_components.all; ENTITY memory IS PORT ( clock : IN STD_LOGIC := '1'; data : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0); rdaddress : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (6 DOWNTO 0); wraddress : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (6 DOWNTO 0); wren : IN STD_LOGIC := '0'; q : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0) ); END memory; ARCHITECTURE SYN OF memory IS SIGNAL sub_wire0 : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0); BEGIN q <= sub_wire0(31 DOWNTO 0); altsyncram_component : altsyncram GENERIC MAP ( address_aclr_b => "NONE", address_reg_b => "CLOCK0", clock_enable_input_a => "BYPASS", clock_enable_input_b => "BYPASS", clock_enable_output_b => "BYPASS", enable_ecc => "FALSE", init_file => "initial_data.mif", intended_device_family => "Stratix V", lpm_type => "altsyncram", maximum_depth => 128, numwords_a => 128, numwords_b => 128, operation_mode => "DUAL_PORT", outdata_aclr_b => "NONE", outdata_reg_b => "UNREGISTERED", power_up_uninitialized => "FALSE", ram_block_type => "M20K", read_during_write_mode_mixed_ports => "DONT_CARE", widthad_a => 7, widthad_b => 7, width_a => 32, width_b => 32, width_byteena_a => 1 ) PORT MAP ( address_a => wraddress, address_b => rdaddress, clock0 => clock, data_a => data, wren_a => wren, q_b => sub_wire0 ); END SYN;
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

You could do that, but why not do it in your own file where you instantiate the ram and connect to it? It would make the code more readable.

0 Kudos