Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15331 Discussions

RAM block failing timing at 320Mhz

SAbde7
Beginner

I am using the DE5-net kit(Stratix V). There is a RAM block in my design that is being clocked with 400 Mhz(only as a test. I actually want to go higher). Paths inside the RAM block (between porta_we_reg 's) fail timing even if I lower the frequency down to 320 MHz . TimeQuest says it's a long combinational path. Is 400 Mhz too much for the IP to handle or do I need to do something in the timing constraints/IP parameters?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you post your .sdc, the detailed timing report and perhaps the code implementing the memory?

That's pretty fast for a Stratix V design.

#iwork4intel

Kenny_Tan

Any update?

SAbde7
Beginner

It turns out the failing path was not internal but a loop through outside logic back to an internal register. It was hard to tell from the source and destination registers(their names are misleading). I have added constraints to the project to try to target this path and it seems to be working with over 400 MHz now, though I get other strange timing failures for other paths when I try to go higher, which I will probably ask about in another thread.