Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

Reducing timing for critical path, Adding pipeline registers not working.

VGovi7
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to optimize a part of my design to meet my timing goal (150 MHz ~6.66ns path) but one register is not being read as a register on my timing analysis and I don't know why. In the timing analyzer it shows the register cell as a logical cell in the middle of the path, however, since it is a register, it should be at the end of the path.

My design has 2-stages (i.e. pipelined), at least it is supposed to be but the analyzer is not reading the variable as a register.

Here is the code snippet in question:

always_ff @(posedge clk) begin if (rst) begin for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) read_mux_out_reg[i] <= 0; end else begin for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) read_mux_out_reg[i] <= read_mux_out[i]; end end

Here is the critical path shown in timing analyzer:

timing_register_dfa.png

Is there something I need to be doing in the timing analyzer for this to work? Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a while and I've tried a bunch of things to synthesize a register but none of the I tried change the result of the timing analyzer.

Thank you~

0 Kudos
1 Reply
VGovi7
Beginner

Well, I figured out my problem. It is because there was a lot of mux concatenation from my arrays to the output (This is because I read combinationaly). I simply added another pipeline stage to compensate and now I am meeting my timing requirements.

0 Kudos