Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16601 Discussions

Setting 100ohm input on-chip differential termination in Pin planner or Assignment Editor in Quatus?

xytech
New Contributor I

Hi there ,we use Arria 10 GX device to  receive LVDS data , and also use GXB RX lanes in high-speed communication.

For LVDS IO inputs, GXB RX data inputs and GXB ref-clocks,  we all need to set on-chip 100ohm differential termination. (no external resistors on board).

I check the A10-GPIO-handbook(section 5.5) and ug01143-XCVR-PHY user guide, seems that in Quartus Prime , both Pin planner or Assignment Editor can set 100 diff-terminations.

So what's the exact differences between Pin planner and Assignment Editor ? Should I use either of these two tools?  

PS: Edit qsf file with correct syntax should also be feasible to achieve our goal, but the ablve questions are about Quartus Prime 17.1 software GUI.

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Assignment editor is the tool for assigning various pins. Pin Planner is special tool for pin assignments that include a panorama of pins and it is really helpful for more advanced designs since it you can see where are you assigning the pins.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
xytech
New Contributor I

up

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You can set the assignment in either the Pin Planner or the Assignment Editor or write directly in the .qsf.  They all do the same thing.

0 Kudos
xytech
New Contributor I

Hi, 

since we can do the assignment in either Pin Planner or the Assignment Editor, why do these two tools exist at the same time? What is their difference? Thanks.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Assignment editor is the tool for assigning various pins. Pin Planner is special tool for pin assignments that include a panorama of pins and it is really helpful for more advanced designs since it you can see where are you assigning the pins.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The Assignment Editor lets you create assignments for everything in a design, including I/O.  The Pin Planner is exclusively for I/O, making it easier to create I/O assignments through a graphical interface.

0 Kudos