Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Simulating Soft LVDS Tx and Rx IP cores

SMS
Beginner

I am trying to simulate the LVDS Tx and Rx IP cores, but when I run RTL simulation, Modelsim gives an error:

Failed to open design unit file "C:/Users/Sarmad/Documents/Altera/LVDS_Test/LVDS_Rx.vo" in read mode.

The above error occurred when LVDS Tx IP core was instantiated in the project first Rx IP later. If they are instantiated in reverse order, same error is generated for LVDS Tx IP core.

Failed to open design unit file "C:/Users/Sarmad/Documents/Altera/LVDS_Test/LVDS_Tx.vo" in read mode.

Both the IP core simulate fine when simulated individually. The Quartus version I am using is Quartus Prime Lite 18.0, along with Intel FPGA Starter Edition 10.5b.

Would appreciate if someone can help me out. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Yes, you are correct I have used ALTLVDS IP core.

I have also used Soft LVDS Intel FPGA IP.

Steps:

1. generated Soft LVDS Intel FPGA IP tx & rx individually
  2. Integrated it into top level HDL file.
  3. Generated a combined, version-independent simulation script file including both IP's using ip-setup-simulation command.Attached images
  4. Create a simple scrip to set top level HDL file and simulate.

Example:

set QSYS_SIMDIR C:/Users/anandr1x/Desktop/softlvdssim source mentor/msim_setup.tcl #dev_com # Override the top-level name (so that elab is useful) set TOP_LEVEL_NAME softlvdssim # Compile the standalone IP. com # Compile the user top-level vlog -sv ../../top.sv vlog -sv softlvdssim.v # Elaborate the design. elab

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

script.JPG

softLVDS_sim1.JPG

softLVDS_sim2.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I have just used LVDS Tx and Rx IP initiated in top level HDL file and simulated with out any error.

1. order in which IP's are instantiated will not cause any problem.
  2.  In modelsim, i have just compiled top level, Tx & Rx HDL files.
  3. vsim -L altera_mf_ver -L altera_mf work.lvdsrtsim

Hope it helps.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

modelsimLVDS.JPG

0 Kudos
SMS
Beginner

If I am not mistaken did you use ALTLVDS IP core? And isn't it different from the "Soft LVDS Intel FPGA IP"? And I have tried again multiple times but the error persists.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Yes, you are correct I have used ALTLVDS IP core.

I have also used Soft LVDS Intel FPGA IP.

Steps:

1. generated Soft LVDS Intel FPGA IP tx & rx individually
  2. Integrated it into top level HDL file.
  3. Generated a combined, version-independent simulation script file including both IP's using ip-setup-simulation command.Attached images
  4. Create a simple scrip to set top level HDL file and simulate.

Example:

set QSYS_SIMDIR C:/Users/anandr1x/Desktop/softlvdssim source mentor/msim_setup.tcl #dev_com # Override the top-level name (so that elab is useful) set TOP_LEVEL_NAME softlvdssim # Compile the standalone IP. com # Compile the user top-level vlog -sv ../../top.sv vlog -sv softlvdssim.v # Elaborate the design. elab

Regards

Anand

script.JPG

softLVDS_sim1.JPG

softLVDS_sim2.JPG

0 Kudos