Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Small change causes LE count to change from 108 to 2660

Jorgeb
Beginner

Whenever I connect SampleNow, in the Baud generator.v file to the SAMPLENOW port, the LE count goes from 108 to 2660?

If I connect OversamplingTick (from which SampleNow is generated), no problems occur.  I've shut off clock mux protection, as the SAMPLENOW port connects to a clock mux in serial_trigger.v.

I can trigger this problem without routing SampleNow to SAMPLENOW, but just making SAMPLENOW a reg, and initializing it to *anything* in the reg line?

If I route SampleNow to SAMPLENOW, ignore the fitting error, and simulate, everything works as advertised (other than it doesn't fit...).

Pretty baffled.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jorgeb
Beginner

Fixed, in my case.  The problem was the line:

LogBitsize(ClkFrequency/baud) was implying an lpm_divide Megafunction.  Changed to (LogBitsize(ClkFrequency) - LogBitsize(baud)), and problem resolved.  Completely.

I say that the problem resolved completely because two lpm_div megafunctions were being implied, the second by a different line, according to Quartus.  But they *both* went away with the changes above?  This highlights the fact that there doesn't seem to be any documentation at what 'implies' an lpm_div Megafunction (or any other megafunction).  Nor is there any dox on how to *not* imply these explicitly in Quartus.  In general, this was huge waste of time because Quartus inferred something that wasn't there and made a 32 bit barrel shifter.

How do I stop Quartus from wasting my time?  It would be much useful if Quartus *asked* if that was my intention...

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Thanks for you feedback and this can be a for Quartus enhancement.

0 Kudos