Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

SystemVerilog logic type as bidir

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm new to SystemVerilog and have a question about a warning Quartus is throwing. I'm working with a design done by someone else. 

In my code I have a 2 interfaces which have port type logic. In the module there is assignment of one logic type to another... for example 

interface typeA(); 

logic[3:0][3:0] mem_A; 

endinterface 

interface typeB(); 

logic[3:0] b1; 

logic[3:0] b2; 

logic[3:0] b3; 

endinterface 

module dut(typeA in, typeB out); 

assign out.b1[0] = in.mem_A[0]; 

assign out.b2[1] = in.mem_A[1]; 

assign out.b3[2] = in.mem_A[2]; 

endmodule 

I'm trying to get rid of this warning but don't know what do to since the interfaces are being used multiple times all over the design. 

Warning (10665): Bidirectional port "IN.pix[0][2]" at If.sv(47) has a one-way connection to bidirectional port "OUT.grn[0][2]" 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error message has the identifiers 'pix' and 'grn', but they do not exist in the source code.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The error message has the identifiers 'pix' and 'grn', but they do not exist in the source code. 

--- Quote End ---  

The code is just an example...the warning is copied from Quartus. In all correctness the warning to match example should have been 

Warning (10665): Bidirectional port "in.mem_A[0][0]" at If.sv(#) has a one-way connection to bidirectional port "out.b1[0][0]" 

Warning (10665): Bidirectional port "in.mem_A[0][1]" at If.sv(#) has a one-way connection to bidirectional port "out.b1[0][1]" 

Warning (10665): Bidirectional port "in.mem_A[0][2]" at If.sv(#) has a one-way connection to bidirectional port "out.b1[0][2]"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

interface typeA(); 

logic[3:0][3:0] mem_A; 

endinterface 

interface typeB(); 

logic[3:0] b1; 

logic[3:0] b2; 

logic[3:0] b3; 

endinterface 

module dut(typeA in, typeB out); 

assign out.b1[0] = in.mem_A[0]; 

assign out.b2[1] = in.mem_A[1]; 

assign out.b3[2] = in.mem_A[2]; 

endmodule. 

--- Quote End ---  

Don`t you think that, here you are trying to access one interface members by another interface since an interface is a bundle of nets or variables & interface construct in system verilog was specifically created to encapsulate the communication between blocks or modules. 

Refer the attached pdf. for detail about an interface. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos