Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15322 Discussions

Timing Constraints with PLL clock muxes

SK_VA
Beginner

I feed the output of pll to internal fpga logic that drives an output pin.

How to constrain the output with respect to the clock input of pll?

I am able to constrain w.r.t the output of pll

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Is the output pin a data pin or clock output pin? May I know what kind of constraints you are referring to?

sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If you are driving out a clock, you'll need a generated clock constraint targeted to that output port. The source of the generated clock will be the output pin of the PLL.

SK_VA
Beginner

multi_clk.JPGHi,

I want to set output_delay and skew constraints on some output data pins w.r.t the referred clock.

I have 4 input clocks fed to 4 pins of FPGA. They are divided to 2 groups each with 2 clocks fed to 2 pll clock muxes. The out of these pll muxes are fed to one more mux. The final output of this mux is fed to the logic.

Now I am able to constrain w.r.t the output of pll clock muxes.

But I want to constrain my output data pins w.r.t to 4 input clocks that comes to FPGA.

Please refer the figure.I want to constrain w.r.t Cb1_clk1,Cb1_clk2,Cb2_clk1 and Cb2_clk2

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

You may constrain

create_generated_clock -name output_clock -source [get_ports  Cb1_clk1] [get_ports clk_out]

SK_VA
Beginner

I tried this but it shows a warning that no such path exists.

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Do you have output port for clock output?

SK_VA
Beginner

I have ports for Cb1_clk,Cb2_clk and out_clk.

I think because of the PLL I am not able to constrain with respect to input clocks.