Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Turn On Netlist Viewers Warning with Netlist Viewers Enabled

James_B
New Contributor II

I have a large design that is filling up 60% of a Cyclone V A9 device, and I have the option of "Run Netlist Viewers Preprocessing during compilation" turned on in the compilation process settings. 

Additionally, I am using Quartus Prime 20.1.1 Build 720 Design edition. 

Once I do an analysis & elaboration, and then go to view the RTL design, I always get the warning Tip "To reduce loading time, turn on the Run Netlist Viewers preprocessing during compilation" option as shown below: 

Snag_18d21013.png

However, it is already turned on: 

Snag_18d32fea.png

It seems to me that there is fundamental bug in the back end logic of the Quartus GUI in that it gives this messages. It creates a false impression that something is not quite right, when the option is enabled to run the netlist preprocessor. 

Will this be fixed in a future version beyond 20.1 ? 

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Analysis & Elaboration is not really compilation.  It's meant to quickly look at your design files, make sure there are no errors, and build the project hierarchy.  You need to run full synthesis or the Fitter for this.

0 Kudos
James_B
New Contributor II

There is not need to run the compilation to see the RTL view, in fact, that is what the RTL view is for. 

If you run synthesis, you will get synthesized netlist view, but you can still look at RTL view. 

The RTL view has extreme value for being able to see if all ports are properly connected between modules. 

There should not be a warning that the preprocessor needs to be turned on when it's turned on. 

If the gas gauge is full, there should not be a warning that the gas is nearly empty. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @James_B 

I don't think it is a warning message but just a tip for you to reduce the loading time. 

Since you have enabled in the compilation setting, then you can safely ignore that message and you should see that the RTL viewer open faster.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
James_B
New Contributor II

I do have it enabled in the settings.  It seems that it always takes about the same time to load upon first compilation. After closing the RTL viewer, it will reopen quickly. But each new time the design is compiled, it takes considerable time for the RTL viewer to load. It seems that the enabling the preprocessor setting has really no effect. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @James_B 

It also depend on the design complexity that you have, it may still takes a considerable time to open the RTL viewer even with the setting enable. 

Do you have an estimation time how long it takes to open the RTL viewer? both in enable/disable the feature. Try to recompile the design each time you turn on/off the setting. 

Best Regards,

Richard Tan   

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @James_B 

Does my latest reply helpful? 

Do you able to get an estimation time how long it takes to open the RTL viewer? both in enable/disable the feature. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I have yet to receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided but I believed that I have answered your question. 
With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos