Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Unconstrained I/O when using design partitions

VCham
New Contributor I

Hello I am doing late floorplanning and have started with setting up design partitions. 

To start I have a single partition set to post-fit.

My issue is that upon compilation, I get a ton of unconstrained i/o from the new partition. What is the correct way to constrain these i/o? I'm only familiar with constraining top level i/o

0 Kudos
9 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you explain what is complete in your design?  When you say I/O, those are usually top-level, so it's not clear what you mean by unconstrained I/O that are not top-level.

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

Before attempting partitioning, my design was fully complete. There were zero unconstrained I/O. Timing was being met.

When I added a design partition, the TimeQuest Analyzer reported 46 unconstrained output ports. Looking at the signals they are just an avalon memory mapped address bus that is an input to the partition. I am not sure why it's being called out as unconstrained. 

VCham_0-1653575534460.png

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Valentina,

What device is you using and which edition of Quartus?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

Quartus II Standard 17.0.2

Cyclone V

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So your design was complete and you simply set part of it as a design partition, recompiled, and got this?  Can you show your design partition settings/assignments?  For some reason, the connections from your design partition to the root partition of your design are missing.  Simply setting an entity as a design partition should not cause this to happen.  You're not using virtual pin assignments, are you?

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

Since my last post I've tried the autopartitioner to help with different issues. But I'm still getting the same unconstrained paths.

These are the current partition settings. I am not using any virtual pins.

VCham_0-1654008398260.png

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you try the steps to size and and place regions after compilation as in Best Practices for Incremental Compilation Partitions and Floorplan Assignments page 15-45?

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Valentina,

Any updates on the status from your side? Does it resolve your issue?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos