Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Why does quartus standard crash when you compile with imported partitions/LL regions?

DBay
New Contributor I

I have projects from 13.1 that now crash Quartus when I compile the toplevel project. Does 18.0 support importing lower level projects that have multiple hierarchical LL regions? The lower levels compile fine. They import fine into the upper project. They then crash Quartus in the fitter stage. If I remove the LL regions, it compiles fine(well, after 5 hours.....it was 45min in 13.1)

Dan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Trash the db folder(s) and recompile from scratch. Something bad may be stuck in your previously compiled database info.

0 Kudos
DBay
New Contributor I

That is the first thing that I did before compiling. The new software is just unstable. It crashes on the least problem. I finally found out that it doesn't support nested LL regions without crashing. You can't do any fitter with extra effort or it will crash. You can't overlap more than 2 LL regions and expect it to move them.

After days of compiling in incremental changes so it wouldn't crash I finally have something that compiles in 2-3 hours. The software is just inherently unstable and slow.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Would you mind to share the non confidential design? ​Are you using the standard edition of software?

0 Kudos
DBay
New Contributor I
I'd love to reply, but your stupid web site won't let me log in!
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Do you mean you failed to attached your design? What browser that you were using?​

0 Kudos
DBay
New Contributor I

No your web site wouldn't let me log in. It really needs help. I didn't know that an email would post also.

I can't give you the design because you can't take ITAR. Yes, this is the standard. I've been told by FAEs that converting older designs that use LL regions would be very difficult. That's fine. The software shouldn't crash if it doesn't like the legacy designs. There should be a useful warning or error message. Maybe a guide on how to nest LL regions and partitions for 18.0 would be useful, if it is still allowed.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Hi DBay,

Can you contact FAE/DFAE for the support?

Thanks

Best regards,

Kenny ​

0 Kudos