Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Why don't any of the help topics have anything to do with the pages that you try to get help on??

DBay
New Contributor I

When you select help on a given page, maybe half of the functions have a help topic listed and usually those that do have help just restate what the function's name is. Not very "helpful". It is like the help web site is written for some other version of the software that doesn't exist.

Between the crashes and the help and the slowness, this software needs to be majorly re written.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DBay
New Contributor I

Here is an example...

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

From your example, for some reason, you are using the Standard or Lite edition of the software, but the Pro edition help is appearing. If you open help directly from the Help menu instead of clicking that Help button, do you still get Pro edition help or do you get the Standard edition help? If you keep getting Pro edition help, then that's a bug.

I'd also try using IE instead of another browser to see if that has something to do with it. You can set the browser to use with Quartus from Tools menu -> Options -> Internet Connectivity.

0 Kudos
DBay
New Contributor I

It still goes to pro, I thought that was just where it was supposed to go. I guess you still have standard help? I have W7. My default is IE. I tried chrome and firefox. They all go to the same help. It's just another error for 18 I guess. It crashes so much compiling that at least using help doesn't crash it! That's the bright side!

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Also I notice, for some reason, is that you are viewing the online help instead of the offline help that should have been installed when you installed the software (from the URL). Perhaps you did not install the offline help when you installed Quartus and the tool is going to the online version (though it should still be Standard help instead of Pro). Go back to the Quartus installer (or the Quartus download page) to download and install the Standard help.

0 Kudos
DBay
New Contributor I

​This was all web based. I don't see an option for local help. How and where do you install the offline help? How do you activate it? Either way, the help is still screwed up. Of course even the pro help doesn't really help for the pro version. I just installed it and the online help(again, no other option) is about as helpful as the pro help was for standard help topics. It looks like it was written by some person that had never heard of or used this software. Saying that "the compile function starts the compile function" is not help! That is about the level of the online help. NOT helpful at all!

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Quartus Prime Help can be downloaded for Standard 18.0 here on the Additional Software tab:

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/18.0/?edition=standard&platform=windows&download_manager=dlm3

0 Kudos
DBay
New Contributor I

OK, so how do you select online or off? Is it any more helpful than the online or is it just the same thing, but offline? Does it tell you when( or if) the software help has been updated?​

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Quartus gives help from the offline help first (I think) before going online, but it is the same for both. The issue here is that you're seeing Pro help instead of Standard help.

0 Kudos