Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15549 Discussions

Wrong resource usage for MAX V design

Zak
New Contributor I
378 Views

Hello,

I'm performing a feasibility study for a custom project and I need to estimate the resource usage of a test design on a MAX V device: 5M160ZE64I5.

I've never used MAX V, I've experience with Cyclone V devices only.

I don't understand why the fitter report doesn't change when I add, remove or edit my VHDL code. I also added a QSYS design with SPI slave and few Avalon MM peripherals but the fitter report doesn't change and shows always a success. For example, I always get 44/160 (28%) logic elements, even If I add a signal generated by a process with a 64 bit counter...

Also, in the "Resource Utilization by Entity" report tab I see ONLY the top level entity. With Cyclone V and other designs I could see all the entities with the associated resource utilization.

Since the design is very simple, I wrote an SDC file with a clock definition and false paths for the I/Os.

The pins are correctly assigned in the Pin Planner.

Can someone tell me what can I check to solve this issue? Am I missing something?
Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan
Moderator
350 Views

Another possible situation that your design had been optimized away. You can look for the analysis report to get those information


View solution in original post

4 Replies
Zak
New Contributor I
368 Views

I forgot to add that I'm currently using Quartus 18.1.0 build 625.

sstrell
Honored Contributor III
359 Views

If you're only seeing the top-level entity in the report, perhaps the rest of the files have not been added to the project.  Go to Project->Add/Remove Files and make sure all the files that make up the project are added.

Kenny_Tan
Moderator
351 Views

Another possible situation that your design had been optimized away. You can look for the analysis report to get those information


Zak
New Contributor I
341 Views

Yes, that's just it! Since it is a test design some entity outputs weren't connected...

The weird thing is also a PIO and an SPI Slave to Avalon Master IP cores are optimized away with no reason. Both IPs have I/Os connected to I/O pads and are linked together with an Avalon bus.

Anyway, thanks to led me towards an explanation of this phenomenon.

Reply