Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

assigned a pin to ground

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone,  

I have a max10 FPGA and I want to assigned a pin to the gnd 

Because my circuit is like this: 

output pin(3.3V ) LED power supplied(3.3V) 

so If I want to light up my LED, I should have an output pin=0V. I've try some VHDL code, it seems it doesn't work 

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

ENTITY et IS 

PORT( 

s : out std_logic ); 

END et ; 

ARCHITECTURE data_flow OF et IS 

BEGIN 

s<= '0'; 

END data_flow; 

I've also tried null instead of 0. But it still doesn't work. is it because I don't have IN std_logic 

thank you in advance
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you assign s port to the correct device pin?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you for ur replying. Yes I did and i'm sure about that

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Because my circuit is like this: 

output pin(3.3V ) LED power supplied(3.3V) 

so If I want to light up my LED, I should have an output pin=0V. I've try some VHDL code, it seems it doesn't work 

--- Quote End ---  

What is the value of your current limiting resistor? Did you put a scope or a meter to measure the output pin? 

Kevin Jennings
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've also tried null instead of 0. 

--- Quote End ---  

Null would be incorrect, '0' is correct.  

--- Quote Start ---  

But it still doesn't work. is it because I don't have IN std_logic 

--- Quote End ---  

No 

Kevin Jennings
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The pins can source and drain the required current? I would reccommend using a ground pin. I think there must be a couple of those.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your replying, 

I couldn't really measure the current, now. Because I work in a starting project. But it was an experimented engineer, who develop that board. So I think he should think about that. 

I thought it may be have problem of compatibility of USB blaster II, which is not compatible with Altera max10 or the frequency of Jtag, 6MHz instead of 24MHz, but I don't know how to change that frequency
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, thank you

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What is the value of your current limiting resistor? Did you put a scope or a meter to measure the output pin? 

Kevin Jennings 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your replying, 

I couldn't really measure the current, now. Because I work in a starting project. But it was an experimented engineer, who develop that board. So I think he should think about that. 

I thought it may be have problem of compatibility of USB blaster II, which is not compatible with Altera max10 or the frequency of Jtag, 6MHz instead of 24MHz, but I don't know how to change that frequency
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The pins can source and drain the required current? I would reccommend using a ground pin. I think there must be a couple of those. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for replying, I couldn't use a ground pin. Because I have to manage light up or light down the LED. 

Could I just connect the ground directly to an output in schematic, does it work?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well, you need to complete the circuit, so it should work, assuming the output can drive enough current.

0 Kudos