Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
444 Discussions

Problem with Linux & Windows Application for PCIe DMA transfer on Arria 10 Ref: PCI Express AVMM DMA Reference Design

BPopa1
Beginner

I'm having a problem in running the DMA transfer example on my Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) system.

According to the README:

command - sudo ./install -- gives me en error " ./altera_dma.ko: No such file or directory". Initially when I untar the files, I see the altera_dma.ko file present in the directory but install command happens to delete it.

Please help me in this situation, I couldn't find any updated files on the same.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

May I know which reference design are you referring to?

and which SoC device is this?

I cannot open the link above.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BPopa1
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I'm referring to "Reference Design: Gen3x8 AVMM DMA - Arria 10". I want to run the software application on Linux for DMA transfer.

For your reference, I have attached the file here!

0 Kudos
rfeng6
Beginner

Hello,

I can't find Windows_for_AVMM_DMA_On_Chip_Mem. Can you share it with me?Thanks.

0 Kudos
BPopa1
Beginner

Hello,

I found a way around the problem I was facing but I'm stuck with another one now. Hoping to get some help!

By giving the commands: ( After programming the fpga and restarting the system )

$sudo make,

$sudo ./ install

and

$sudo ./ run

I am able to run the application on linux. But if I try to start the DMA transfer by giving '1', the system crashes and doesn't respond anymore.

image.png

Also tried working with Windows on this problem, I am able to launch the GUI but once I 'start' the DMA transfer for read and write for 100 iterations (default), the system restarts and gives a "928 Fatal PCIe Error ".

image.png

Would really appreciate if some help is provided regarding the problem I'm facing.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I will be following this issue with you. What I aim is to make sure there is no missing step while creating your project. Please confirm first and let me know. Did you watch the following videos that will help you to review the steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGs2Q3028ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcjItN4byU

Regards,

0 Kudos
BPopa1
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I have seen these videos and there's nothing I've missed from them. After programming the FPGA and rebooting the system, the FPGA is detected in both Linux and Windows, but the application abruptly stops. when trying to run a DMA transfer.

Please provide your suggestions to solve the issue.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Great to hear that the design is working after following the provided resources. Can you please share what error you see if you have? more info will help us to understand the new issue.

Regards,

0 Kudos
BPopa1
Beginner

Hi,

The design is working fine without any problems. I am having problems in running the DMA transfer (read and write) to the board and back.

Could you please share some steps how we can debug this issue. I tried understanding the Linux code and making some changes but nothing works.

As soon as I "Start DMA" by entering '1' and 'Enter' the application and the Linux OS stops responding.

Similarly in Windows when I click on start I get a PCie error shown in the figures attached above.

Thanks!

Regards,

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

The only debug method that would help us in this case would be the signaltap. By adding the DMA signals to be traced in SignalTap, we might get a glimpse on the root cause of this issue.

I suspect its either the DMA is hanging somewhere or the PCIe is not functioning properly. With Signaltap we can segregate the root cause.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rfeng6
Beginner

Hello,

I can't find Windows_for_AVMM_DMA_On_Chip_Mem. Can you share it with me?Thanks

0 Kudos