Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

If AVG VPN is active when the Intel Managment and Security Applicaiton service starts, a file called gms.log in SysWOW64 grows at a massive rate (many GB per day), which only stops if you disable the VPN briefly. Is this a known bug? And is there a fix?

CCroz
Beginner

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, after looking into this we have not found any situation like this previously reported. However, we are going to look into our records and do a more extensive research into this, so we can provide you with a response to this behavior.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

We are still looking into this, can you please let us know if this is related in anyway to an AMT deployment?.

0 Kudos
CCroz
Beginner

Hi,

It’s on a stand-alone desktop in a home office. From what I see in the logs it seems that it is trying to communicate with an external IP, and cannot do so if the AVG VPN is active (other apps, web browsing, mail etc work fine). It writes hundreds of lines per second to the log. Stopping and starting the VPN stops the log file growing.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you very much for the information, please allows to investigate a little further into this situation.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Ccroz,

After reviewing on this situation, the GMS.LOG file in Syswow64 is definitely created by the LMS service. We are still investigating the root cause of this occurrence.

For the time being we would recommend you to disable the LMS service in Task Manager, this should stop the logging function.

As soon as we have any new findings about this matter, we will update this post.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Ccroz,

Thank you for your time while we work on this matter.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

1- The LMS or IMMS version you are running

2-A MEINFO report.

Also, can you please run the following https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28679, this is the latest Windows driver, can you run it and please let us know if the problem persists afterwards?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
CCroz
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

LMS version is 11.0.0.1162

I'm not familiar with how to run an MEINFO report.

I have donwloaded the zip file (640MB) but I don't know which file / exe to run.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz ,

We are following up in your case, were you able to download and install the driver mentioned before? If so, did you notice any difference on the behavior?

Also it seems that restarting the following service will stop this growing log from happening.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Gms.log" is LMS’ log.

Since this log is overwritten on each LMS run,

Restarting LMS should solve the issue:

Go to -> Services -> Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service -> Restart

Please let us know if this helps on solving this matter.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

We are following up in your case, were you able to try the steps mentioned previously?

Please let us know the outcome or if there is anything else we might be able to assist you.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
CCroz
Beginner
My apologies, but I did not get any notifications for your later emails asking for further information. I will check the items you asked about when I get home this evening (I am in time zone GMT+2). Regards, Chris
0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

No problem, take your time and reply back to us as soon as you have the information, also keep in mind the other steps mentioned above for troubleshooting purposes.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

We are following up in your case, can you please let us know if you were able to try the steps mentioned before?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
CCroz
Beginner
Thank you for following up - I do appreciate it. Unfortunately I could not check on the day, and then I left on a business trip overseas. I was worrying about it on the flight out! I only get back on 10 June, but I’ll check then on the points you have asked me to look at. Kind regards Chris
0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

Thank you for the update, don't worry, just let us know the outcome of the steps provided whenever you have the time to work on this.

Have a safe trip.

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello CCroz,

We hope you are doing great! Please let us know if the steps provided before provided any help? Or if the problem still persists.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
CCroz
Beginner
Hi Alberto, Our messages crossed! I have just posted the LMS version number (11.0.0.1162). I'm not familiar with how to run an MEINFO report. I have donwloaded the zip file (640MB) at the link you sent me but I don't know which file / exe to run. Regards, Chris
0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Chris,

We apologize for the late reply, can you please let me know if you are getting an error? or is just giving you different .exe files to run?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
CCroz
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

The link you sent me took me to a page where there is a single download which appears to comprise a range of drivers and utilities arranged in several folders and sub-folders, with many different packages (640MB worth). The listing on the web page showed 28 products to which it applied. I wasn't clear which I should use.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Chris,

After decompressing the folder, try to install the file located on the following route:

Cons\MEI-Only Installer MSI

0 Kudos
Alberto_M_Intel
Employee

Hello  CCroz,

We are following up in your case, any updates on the case status? Were you able to use the program?

Thank you

0 Kudos