OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

How to debug a crash on Intel SDK ?

Polar01
Beginner
Hi,
In my application I run my kernels several times (1 to 50000 times). All the steps use the same kernel and approximatively do the same work. But, after a few time (40 steps) the application in some context crash !
But where !!??
Is there a way to know where an OpenCL application crash ?
Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Evgeny_F_Intel
Employee
Hi,

If you use Visual Studio you can look in output window and see where do you have the exception.
In linux, you can use GDB and then load and analyze core dump.
0 Kudos
Polar01
Beginner
Thanks Evgeny,

I use Visual Studio 2008 and only got the following message :

First-chance exception at 0x0fb2c160 in pureStudio.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x1dd4fffc.

Unhandled exception at 0x0fb2c160 in pureStudio.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x1dd4fffc.

But I don't know where (in my OpenCL kernel) the application crash :-(

0 Kudos
Polar01
Beginner
What I have notice is that if I change my "build options" to "-g -cl-opt-disable", then I have NO crash !
0 Kudos
Evgeny_F_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The issue might be in some compiler optimization.

Can you provide small reprodusor?

Thanks,
Evgeny

0 Kudos
Polar01
Beginner
Hi Evgeny,
Unfortunately no ! The software is a big application I'm working on it since 2 years now !
It is difficult to know "where" the crash occur, I have no information in the output, just that VS2008 show me a 'dissassemble' window with some assembly code !
My current task is to stabilize the software, and first, with the Intel SDK.
What I can do is to provide to someone of Intel an access to the code repository ! Or simply provide a "debug" version of the software too ?
In fact I hope to release the software soon, but first I must be sure that it work with at least one SDK. So, do you think that we can find an agreement with Intel to insure that the application work (before the release of the SDK) ? and why not... my application can serve as a "showcase" ?
Krys
0 Kudos
Polar01
Beginner
So,
How can I help you to fix the problem ?
BTW: it will be fine to have a tool to debug and find memory leaks that occurs in the OpenCL kernel. Today, when a crash occur... we have no idea of the reason of this crash (and where it occur).
Thanks
0 Kudos
Evgeny_F_Intel
Employee
Hi,

I'm sorry, but the only way we can help if you can provide small reprodosor for the issue.

OpenCL products are emerging and maybe you can find a tool that can help you.
0 Kudos