Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15143 Discussions

14900K crash and stability issues

AlihanSahin
Beginner

Greetings,

I have an issue regarding the frequency and temperature of my cpu. Simultaneously, I'm experiencing crashes in some games and 3D modeling(Blender) program. If possible, I would like to request BIOS settings from you to undervolt my processor.
There's a lot of conflicting information online, and since I'm a novice with BIOS, I'm unsure which sources are correct.
I've attached my "system support utility" text file for your reference.

I would really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeanetteC_Intel

Hello AlihanSahin,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Before I share the BIOS settings you are requesting, I just hope to gather more details, to get a better understanding of the issue and be able to provide an effective recommendation. With this said, please provide the missing key information here:

1) May I know what application you are using to monitor your CPU temperature?

2) How much temperature are you getting?

3) What game(s) are crashing? Has it previously worked without crashes?

I will wait for your reply so we can further check.

Best regards,

JeanetteC.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlihanSahin
Beginner

First of all, thank you for your interest in helping me Jeanette.

I am using CoreTemp to monitor CPU temperature. The first 8-9 cores are reaching 100 degrees, while the others range between 90 - 78 degrees. This happens occasionally, sometimes instantly and sometimes during CPU rendering. The processor boosts up to 6GHz quite frequently.

I purchased my CPU about 2-3 months ago. Shortly after purchasing it, I started experiencing errors in RDR2 and currently I'm getting crashes in the game PUBG. Additionally, while using the 3D modeling program Blender, crashes occur sometimes during GPU/CPU animation rendering, and other times when sculpting with several million polygons. This situation is unusual because even on my very old computer (with an Intel 5500 CPU), I could reach 2-5 million polygons without any crashes. Moreover, on another computer with an Intel 13600K CPU, I can handle 17 - 19 million polygons. It doesn't make sense for my 14900K processor-based system to crash at 1-2 million polygons.

I believe the issue likely stems from stability problems at high frequencies. I have tried some of the settings you recommended ("intel recommendations: intel default settings"), which significantly reduced the crashes. However, I am still experiencing them. Therefore, I need to make a more stable adjustment while sacrificing a bit of performance. I am inexperienced with BIOS and prefer not to take risky actions on my own. Thus, I need optimized BIOS settings from you.

I don't want to see 6GHz anymore, and I don't want temperatures to exceed 85 - 88 degrees. ( I have a good cpu cooler z73 Kraken 360). I am very certain that these crashes are not due to my PC's inability to handle them. I have shared my system components and the games/applications I use with you.

I have experienced similar issues with PCs equipped with AMD 7950X and 7950X3D processors. As a customer, I am tired of regretting my choice of the supposedly best and most performance-oriented components from a brand.

Please provide me with settings that are sufficiently stable and perform adequately if its possible.

I am happy to share any visuals or information you may require.

I appreciate your assistance and precious time Jaennette

Kind regards,
Alihan

0 Kudos
JeanetteC_Intel

Hello AlihanSahin,

Thank you so much for sharing the details I asked for for further issue isolation. Based on the SSU log file you've submitted, your current BIOS firmware is one step lower (from the ASUS support page)> The latest firmware (Version 2402) released on 2024/07/12 includes an updated microcode 0x125 to ensure eTVB operates within Intel specifications.

I highly recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer support team to get proper guidance with this critical update and make sure the following parameters are properly set with the Intel Default settings (this can be manually set and better to get Asus to help look for the exact parameters as it may appear differently depending on the motherboard manufacturer):

• Enable: CEP (Current Excursion Protection)
  • Enable: eTVB (Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost)
  • Enable: TVB (Thermal Velocity Boost)
  • Enable: TVB Voltage Optimizations
  • Disable: ICCMAX Unlimited Bit
  • Set TjMAX Offset to 0
  • Enable: C-states
  • ICCMAX = 249A/307A (must never exceed 400A)
  • ICCMAX_App = 200A/245A
  • Power Limits (PL's)
  • PL1 = 253W (recommended for best performance)
  • PL2 = 253W

Reference:

Updated Guidance RE: Reports of 13th/14th Gen Unlocked Desktop Processor Stability Issues

I will wait for your update on this matter.

Best regards,

JeanetteC.

0 Kudos
AlihanSahin
Beginner

Hello Jeanette,

Thank you very much for the settings you shared. I also updated the BIOS. However, I encountered some problems while applying the settings you provided:
I couldn't find the ICCMAX_App setting anywhere. (My motherboard model is Asus z790 proart and I don't  trust my motherboard manufacturer for the bios setting. So I want to continue with you if its okay)

• When I set TjMax to '0', it just turns into a blue-colored number 62. So, I left it on Auto.

• I tested it and could reach over 30 million surfaces, and temperatures did not exceed 100 degrees except for the 7th core.

• However, during game testing (PUBG), I encountered a strange problem and took a screenshot. Normally, the game would use around 8 - 10 GB of RAM and 13 - 15% of the processor. But it seems like the operating system is not aware that the game is open and behaves as if it's repeatedly opening it, causing RAM usage to spike to 50 - 60 GB and processor usage to hit 100%, with half of the cores reaching 100 degrees. Have you ever encountered such an issue? ( ss attached )

• Under Intel Default Settings, there were only 2 options: Performance and Extreme. I had to choose the Performance option as there was no third option available.

• I'm sharing the screenshot regarding the game issue I mentioned with you.

Thank you for your assistance and precious time.

Kind Regards
Alihan

0 Kudos
JeanetteC_Intel

Hello AlihanSahin,

Thank you for continuously sharing an update on this concern. What happens when you just set the Intel Default Settings on 'Performance' settings and without manually changing any more parameters? Please check this article below:

[Motherboard]Intel 13th and 14th Gen K-Series processor stability Improvement with Latest ASUS BIOS Update

Additionally, for the game (PUBG) behavior, we do have previous reports about hitting CPU usage of 100%. You may want to check this article for:

Why CPU Usage Reaches 100% when playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)* Game

I checked and the current patch notes - update 30.2, though on the reference article above, it does not say about the RAM usage that spike to 50 - 60 GB.

Let me know how it goes so I can check on this further.

Best regards,

JeanetteC.

0 Kudos
AlihanSahin
Beginner

Hello Jeanette,

Thank you for your interest and assistance again.

Since the adjustments I made last time, along with the issues I encountered, whenever I try to open any game, I suddenly get a blue screen error with 'page fault in nonpaged area bedaisy.sys' and the PC resets. I will attach the dump file at the end of this message, but I have to give up now. I've already set aside the PC. I need to continue with my tasks using the 13600k PC. I've lost too much time in this process of errors. I no longer have the financial means or time to endure more. Before closing this topic, I want to share my disappointment with your company.

I believe trillion-dollar companies like AMD and Intel deceive and cheat end-users. They release products with x features, advertise them, but even in products below the promised performance, widespread errors are observed in most users who purchase them, and they fail to deliver the promised performance smoothly. I'm experiencing a more error-free PC experience with the 13600k processor with mid range budget pc, which costs half the price of a 14900k processor. So, you are basically telling the users, 'Don't buy our best and most expensive products, or you'll deal with errors. They are nothing but hastily released products to compete with other brands and maintain our market margin.'

I've been dealing with these issues for a year with an AMD 7950x and x670 extreme mb combo PC I assembled on November 22, 2022, and changed processors 7 times. I switched to Intel, but the name of the problem changed, yet the solution is still nowhere to be found. The system, which cost me 14 - 15 thousand dollars with high taxes, caused me a loss of 60 - 66 thousand dollars and wasted time in 1.5 years, long story short.

I hope other companies enter the CPU production market and prevent you from releasing faulty products with the comfort of monopoly.

Thank you very much for your individual assistance, Jeanette. We can close this forum topic now.

Have a great day Jeanette.

Kind Regards
Alihan

0 Kudos
JeanetteC_Intel

Hello AlihanSahin,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I have sent you an email about this. I hope you check on it.

Best regards,

JeanetteC.

0 Kudos