Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15035 Discussions

D975XBX2 bios

R713k228
Beginner

Need the latest bios for an Intel motherboard - D975XBX2. Somehow the bios I had was an older one and got corrupted.. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Not sure, could be this one (attached).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
R713k228
Beginner

Thanks for the response, Al. The bios I'm looking for is named BX97520J or later. BX975X is the motherboard I'm using. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Al provided the proper - and final - BX97520J BIOS for the D975XBX2 board. There are three possibilities for what is going on here,

1. Your board is actually a D975XBX, which utilizes the BX97510J BIOS, and not a D975XBX2, which utilizes the BX97520J BIOS. If this is the case, you need the BIOS that I have attached to this post.
  2. Your board is actually a D975XBX, but it doesn't utilize the BX97510J.86A BIOS releases. That is, it utilizes a custom BIOS developed exclusively for a specific board customer. If this is the case, we cannot help you; you can only get BIOS updates from this specific board customer.
  3. Your board is a D975XBX2, but it doesn't utilize the BX97520J.86A BIOS releases. That is, it utilizes a custom BIOS developed exclusively for a specific board customer. As above, if this is the case, we cannot help you.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
R713k228
Beginner

Scott,

The box my board came in reads D975Xbx2, I can get into the bios and it reads version BX97520J.86A.2802.2007.1024.1947 but when I check all my settings and save and exit it will only let me go into the bios again. It will not let me load windows.

The problem I'm having is a driver that got loaded for a USB wifi controller which I think is causing my system not to go past the bios screen. Had no problem with the system until I loaded this driver. Thought it might have corrupted the bios when it restarted. 

Any thoughts?

Ron

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, then you want to be installing the version that Al attached in his original post.

Here are my instructions for performing a BIOS recovery; follow them exactly:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release that Al attached to his post.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives; most are not compatible. USB 2.0 flash drives have a black strip inside the connector, while USB 3.0 flash drives have a blue strip inside the connector.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Specify to install the FAT32 file system (Important: NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). Also, very important, you must specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper on the board (the rest will usually be black).
  10. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Avoid using blue USB 3.0 or Yellow USB 2.0/3.0 charging ports. Also avoid using front panel USB ports on your chassis.
  11. Power on the system.
  12. The BIOS Recovery process should start itself automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  13. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  14. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so then.
  15. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  16. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  17. Power on the board.
  18. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see a BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  19. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  20. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset the BIOS configuration.
  21. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the (modified) BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  22. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  23. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI Boot, etc.).
  24. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  25. Test.

Here are some additional thoughts:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try using blue USB 3.0 or yellow USB 2.0/3.0 ports as well if no other choices are available. As a last resort, you can also try using the front panel USB ports.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive. Remember that all USB flash drives must be reformatted at least once using the process described in Step 4 above.
  • As always, it is helpful to use a USB flash drive that has an access LED so that you can visually see if it is being accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed but BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. The BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos