Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Do i need better fans on the radiator or beter thermal paste ? or a higher phase Motherboard

CVent2
Beginner

I just got my 9700k 2 days ago ,with an Asus Tuf z370 gaming plus (has 7 phase power ). I'm using a H115i (pump running at 3000rpm) with 2x Corsair SP140(1500rpm) pulling at the top of the case. Currently im running at 4.8Ghz on all Cores with no avx offset . llc is at level 6. vCore is set to 1.25vcore. Holds Steady under Load. 

I have a 120mm rear fan @ 1200rpm - 1600rpm and 2x 120mm fans @ 1200rpm. Stock Coolermaster case fans.

So the problem I'm having is that during Games (30 min BFV) the cores it 70 degrees +. The h115i water temp gets to about 41 degrees. Adia64 cpu + fpu + cache it hit 84 degrees within 10 min. This doesn't seem normal to me. I reseated the cpu cooler with Artic Silver 5 that i had left over ,made no difference. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CVent2
Beginner

ambient is about 26 degrees

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

CVent2: Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

The Tjunction of the processor is 100°C, that is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die, so any temperature result below that value is considered normal and expected.

You mentioned that all the cores are running at 4.8Ghz, when the processor base frequency for this unit is 3.60 GHz.

Are you doing overclocking?

https://ark.intel.com/products/186604/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-90-GHz-

How or where are you seeing that the Corsair* H115i water temperature is reaching 41°C?

You mentioned that when using Adia64 it reports that the processor is reaching 84°C in 10 minutes, that is a third party tool and the results might not be that accurate, we do have the Intel® Processor Diagnostic tool that does an overall test on the unit, including a temperature test, if the processor passed the test then it should be working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

When you are playing games, the PC uses or demands most of the processor and system resources for the game to run properly, so it is expected for the processor to reach high temperatures, specially if it is being overclocked, which is not recommended since it might reduce the life cycle of the unit.

When the processor gets overheated, the PC will start throttling, getting freeze or going off by itself, so as long as it does not show those symptoms, it is not reaching 100°C and if the unit passed the test of our tool, then it means the processor is working fine and it is not getting overheated, so better fans on the radiator or better thermal paste will not be needed.

Additionally, we advice to use the processor at stock configurations with the default BIOS settings to avoid any possible problems with the system.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
CVent2: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CVent2
Beginner

hi

the link for the Processor-Diagnostic-Tool doesn't want to work

I am certain that cpu i got has bad contact with IHS so im gonna take it back to the shop where i bought it so that they can test it . because the 8600k that i had before this one . The load temp in my setup with stock clock where below 60 and under 70 with a 5 Ghz overclock. This 9700k on stock goes to 75 degrees. All the review ive look at is that the cpu on stock is around 63 - 68. They get to about 80 degrees at a 5.1 Ghz Clock

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi CVent2, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, to get in contact with the place of purchase is always an option to replace the processor, specially in this case that, even though it is not for sure, there is a change there might be something wrong with the IHS of the unit.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos