Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15274 Discussions

i9-13980HX and 128GB DDR5 3600MHz RAM - Windows 11 BSoD Errors - Constant and Random

Willy-Ray
Beginner

Hello,
This is a Lenovo P16 Gen2 laptop I configured and ordered on 5/18/2024 on Lenovo website. I selected memory option: 128GB which was described as DDR5-5200MHz at the time of order. I received laptop on 6/3/2024 at 5:30PM and it has been constant battle between Windows 11 (BSoD) blue screen errors and other anomalies ever since.

Spent all day researching issues encountered over last 15 days, reading Intel i9-13980HX specifications and examining the memory actually installed. My conclusion is the RAM memory speed is the problem. The actual RAM installed is 4 x 32GB DDR5 3600MHz Non-ECC. The Intel i9-13980HX specifications states 5600MHz speed and non-ECC memory.

The BSoD critical errors happen moving windows between screens, adjusting windows within a screen, opening an application or sometimes while typing in text editor. I have not seen one happen when laptop is idle and I am not interacting with it.

Other problems encountered are installation errors with Oracle Database Express 21c, Adobe Acrobat Standard and Microsoft SQL Server where the process lost track and failed. There are problems with NT services starting inconstancies where Oracle listeners and database instances are missing each other and I need to restart after Windows 11 loads. Five or six times while playing a YouTube video the sound will have loud knocking noise like an electric shock.  

The Windows 11 startup seams incredibly slow for the hardware. I have two older Lenovo desktops - i7-6700 3.40GHz with 32GB running Windows 10 Pro and i7-4790 3.60GHz with 32GB running Ubuntu 24.04 LTS that startup in 1/4 the time. I have a Lenovo W530 laptop with i7-3740QM with 16GB with Windows 10 Pro that starts faster than this new laptop. I also have a Mac Mini with 16GB that starts faster than all of them!

I’ve been a software/database developer and building computers since 1993 and know how to problem solve, research issues and analyze systems. I ran all Lenovo & Windows hardware and software tests with no problems found. The latest updates from Lenovo and Windows are checked daily and installed. 

On 6/13 I opened a Support Case with Lenovo Services since I have 30 days to return laptop for full refund. I really do not want to return it at this point since I’ve battled through this long. Lenovo wants me to send laptop back to them for repair. I want them to send me the correct memory which they have listed for sale on their website. If I send Lenovo the laptop I will not get it back until July 15 at the earliest.

Included is a screenshot on memory choices on Lenovo website when the i9-13980HX processor is selected which have changed since I placed my order. Notice the variation is memory speeds. I included the Intel processor comparison and mismatch ram error screenshot along with screenshot of 32GB 5600MHz memory prices including Lenovos which is 3 times Amazons price. I also included three of the laptop in question.

I found documentation about faster memory speed than the processor speed but nothing about slower memory speed than the processor speed.

From today's research my understanding is memory installed with slower speed than processor memory speed specification would be the "weakest link" making the processor not perform to it's full potential. I have not found any documentation stating at what memory speed difference will things start to break.

There must be a "value" or a "measurable difference" between memory speed and processor specification memory speed when things begin to break and become unstable.

Any feedback is appreciated on the situation. Would really like to hear from Intel Representative regarding how a large difference between actual memory speed  and processor memory speed specification can affect the processors functionality and technically effect software processor is running.

At what speed difference between slower memory and faster processor do things start to break? 

Thanks, Will

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Willy Ray ,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

The supported Memory speed for your processor is Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s. Please refer to the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232138/intel-core-i913980hx-processor-36m-cache-up-to-5-60-ghz/specifications.html

MT/s and MHz are different so when you say that the installed memory is slower it is because the installed memory on your system is at 3600MHz. Please check this 2 Intel community links discussing MT/s and MHz.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Question-about-the-DDR5-Ram-MT-s-and-MHz/td-p/1549097

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Difference-between-MT-s-and-MHz/td-p/323062

As for your system, since it is built by Lenovo, it is better to contact them to check the compatibility or possible hardware failure.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Willy Ray ,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Willy Ray ,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up if you still have clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you and have a great day. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos