Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

ALTSHIFT_TABS automatically inserted into the design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the following in my design: 

r_reg1 <= { r_reg1, inputpin }; 

Then I had to introduce a condition to select which register input data will be shifted into, I did it this way: 

if(r_condition) r_reg1 <= { r_reg1, inputpin }; else r_reg2 <= { r_reg2, inputpin }; 

And my project stops compiling because Quartus tries to use another M9K block for Altshift_Tabs megafunction, and all the RAM blocks are already in use. 

Why Quartus is doing it? Why it does not do what it was instructed to do - just use two registers and shift input data in respective one on the condition? 

Please advise. Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found the solution. 

Assignments -> Settings -> Analysis & Synthesis settings -> Auto shift register replacement=OFF. 

--- Quote Start ---  

To infer shift registers, synthesis tools detect a group of shift registers of the samelength and convert them to an ALTSHIFT_TAPS megafunction. To be detected, all theshift registers must have the following characteristics: 

&#9632; Use the same clock and clock enable 

&#9632; Do not have any other secondary signals 

&#9632; Have equally spaced taps that are at least three registers apart 

--- Quote End ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

If theAuto Shift Register Recognition setting is set to Auto, Quartus II integratedsynthesis uses the Optimization Technique setting, logic and RAM utilizationinformation about the design, and timing information from Timing-Driven Synthesisto determine which shift registers are implemented in RAM blocks for logic. 

--- Quote End ---  

From the Altera's guide "6. Recommended HDL Coding Styles".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're happy to leave it global, thats fine - but you can set that setting per module - either in the assignments editor or modifying the .qsf file by hand.

0 Kudos