Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Commercial/Industrial Temperature FPGA - Using Same Configuration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

Do you happen somebody to know what would be the effect if using FPGA configuration, synthesized for commercial grade device, on industrial one, i.e. EP2C8Q208C8N conig on a EP2C8Q208I8N? Is there any probability to miss the timing requirements? 

Thanks in advance, 

Victor
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That will be fine. For -8 parts there are very few timing parameters that differ between the commercial and industrial parts - it's principally the operating temperature range that distinguishes them. In each case where there is a difference between the timing parameters, the industrial grade part has tighter timing. So, the industrial part should meet timing. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

If there are tighter timings it is possible to miss the hold requirements, so it will stay only with the commercial grade. Unfortunately, the resynthesis for industrial grade is not possible here because it will require a new validation of the product. 

Thanks, 

Victor
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you don't want to resynthesize it is possible to run a TimeQuest analysis on a different grade and different temperatures. Have a look at the documentation for the set_operating_conditions tcl command in Timequest. That way you can know if your compiled design can be safely run on a different grade. 

AFAIK Quartus by default compiles for the worst conditions, i.e. slowest timing in the grade you specified for setup requirements and highest timing in the whole grade range for hold requirements. So you should be safe.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you don't want to resynthesize it is possible to run a TimeQuest analysis on a different grade and different temperatures. Have a look at the documentation for the set_operating_conditions tcl command in Timequest. That way you can know if your compiled design can be safely run on a different grade. 

AFAIK Quartus by default compiles for the worst conditions, i.e. slowest timing in the grade you specified for setup requirements and highest timing in the whole grade range for hold requirements. So you should be safe. 

--- Quote End ---  

I did try the set_operating_conditions with "-grade i" option. However, TimeQuest reports that the command is illegal for this device. Only "-grade c" is accepted. 

Thanks, 

Victor
0 Kudos