Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Cyclone II: End of production and recommended replacements

HTork
Beginner

We are using the following Cyclone II FPGAs in one of our designs:

EP2C20F256I8N and EP2C8F256I8N.

Intel is not recommending cyclone II for new designs.

When will the production of these FPGAs end?

Can you recommend replacements for these FPGAs?

The replacements should preferably be pin compatible in order to avoid new design of PCB.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RPDM
New Contributor I

My personal suggestion would be the Cyclone 10 LP range as it's actually very similar to the Cyclone III, and therefore not too different to a Cyclone II.

Cyclone IV E is another option - but I suggest staying away from a Cyclone V as it's very different.

Depending on what logic / PLL / RAM usage you have, you may need to make some source code changes.

You will not find anything that's pin compatible.

0 Kudos
HTork
Beginner

Thank you! Can you also inform me on the plans for ending the production of cyclone II EP2C20F256I8N and EP2C8F256I8N? If such plans does not exist at the moment, can you give me the date of the last day when they with certainty still will be in production.

0 Kudos
RPDM
New Contributor I

You'd probably need to check with your supplier. (I don't work for Intel.)

However, this is where anything related to end of life would normally be posted:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/quality-and-reliability/pcns-and-advisories.html#pdn

Richard

0 Kudos
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee
Hi , As of now there in no EOL for Cyclone II , but if you have planning for new designs, recommended to migrate to Cyclone 10 LP or Cyclone 5 series. And also please not there is no drop in replacement for Cyclone II.
0 Kudos