Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Cyclone V with or w/o E Hard Memory Controller - programming file compatibility

CNiclaes
Beginner

I've a design using this Cyclone V E device without HMC: 5CEBA9F23C7N

For sourcing reason I would like maybe to use the version with HMC : 5CEFA9F23C7N

If the design is the same, can I use the same programming file for either device?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No.  If you're accessing memory in different ways between two different devices (soft vs. hard controller), you'll need a separate Quartus project (or project revision) and recompile for the other device producing a different programming file.  There's no way the design could be the same because there will be differences in your options for the memory controller.

0 Kudos
CNiclaes
Beginner

Thanks for your reply, but it seems that my question was not clear enough.

My design doesn't use any hard or soft memory controller.

In the meantime I tested to compile the design by just replacing the "B" device by the "F" device and the generated RBF file is exactly the same, so I suppose I can use it with either one device or the other.  

Another fact is related to the Quartus Programmer. When connecting a ByteBlaster for SOF file programming the programmer ask if it is a "B" or an "F", meaning it can't make the difference.

But I would like to have an official confirmation from Intel I can do that before purchasing and assembling "F" version on my boards instead of "B" version.

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi CNiclaes,

When you're changing the device from variant 5CEBA9F23C7N to 5CEFA9F23C7N, you need to change the targeted device in the Quartus project as well.

If the selected device is different, then the hardware might not working correctly.

You can refer to the link below if you want to know the different between those two devices.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683694/current/available-options-01867.html

0 Kudos
CNiclaes
Beginner

Hi,

I fully understand.

But when I change the target device from 5CEBxxx to 5CEFxxx in Quartus and compile the same design, the generated programming files are exactly the same!

That's why I ask a confirmation from Intel that such a design will work on either chip?

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hello CNiclaes,

"But when I change the target device from 5CEBxxx to 5CEFxxx in Quartus and compile the same design, the generated programming files are exactly the same!"

• Yes I think it's might look like a same one but the targeted device has been changed.
  • To confirm this parameter, you can check your QSF file and observe the targeted device parameter.

"That's why I ask a confirmation from Intel that such a design will work on either chip?"

• Yes the design should be working fine with the targeted device.

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos