Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20755 Discussions

DE0 or DE0-Nano for image processing study

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I am an undergraduate student in Computer Engineering and I'm in need of a little advice.  

I'm starting to learn about image processing because in the future I would like to create a device with some machine vision capabilities (edge detection, etc) as a senior design project; however, for now I'm looking for an FPGA I can use over the summer to tinker with and learn about creating and sending images to a monitor in the first place. I've narrowed down my prospects to either the DE0 or DE0-nano. That the DE0 has a vga port already on it would have made the choice obvious, but I found a site where someone was able to make a very simple vga breakout board for the Nano; that coupled with its Cyclone IV and that its all around more powerful has put me on the fence.  

For what I'm doing, the end goal being to learn what I can about elementary image processing, should I buy a DE0 or DE0-Nano? Money is not factor. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Money is not factor. 

--- Quote End ---  

Then why not buy exactly what you need. 

The Terasic NEEK has VGA and a screen. The Terasic tPAD is a DE2-115 with VGA and a screen. 

There are a number of I/O boards that can be attached to the DE2 boards. 

Browse around the Terasic web site and see what they have. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Dave. I should have clarified, what I meant when I said that money was not a factor was that the price difference between the DE0 and DE0-Nano wasn't something I was concerned about. Unfortunately, the tPad is outside my budget (trying to keep it sub $200, but that's not an absolute limit).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I should have clarified, what I meant when I said that money was not a factor was that the price difference between the DE0 and DE0-Nano wasn't something I was concerned about. Unfortunately, the tPad is outside my budget (trying to keep it sub $200, but that's not an absolute limit). 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok. 

Since you are a student, you should qualify for student pricing of the boards. 

So the DE0 is $79 and the DE0-nano is $59. Buy them both?  

Or buy the DE0 and get the $99 LCD panel 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=68&no=78 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately the LCD on that page is EOL :( 

If bit-resolution is a consideration, please make note that the DE0 supports 4-bit color resolution (instead of 8-bit or 10-bit). 

For a more detailed breakdown, check out this page: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&no=538
0 Kudos